belts touching

Charkly

Hi everyone-ihave a 93 sc, and i have a belt ?-it seems as if th main serp belt on my car is physically touching itself-the area where the belt contacts the water pump puley is contacting the top of the belt where it goes above the pulley if that makes sense-why is this, and what are the diameters of the stock pulleys-wondering if the car has underdrives b/c ive read they cause close tolerances. mike.

Are you certain that the belt is actually touching? A lot of times the fit is so close that you can only slide a piece of paper in between. I'd wager that either you've got underdrive pulleys or perhaps one of your tensioners has crapped out? You might try adjusting the spacing by increasing or decreasing the size of one of your tensioner pulleys. Can't remember which one, but I know it does adjust the fit a bit there. Another possibility could be that you have an old belt that has stretched?? Perhaps you should try either a new belt or I believe someone makes a belt that is just slightly smaller and that will also resolve the problem.

Paul

i know theyre touching

i know theyre touching because i paid the village idiot 36 cents and a pez wrapper to stick his finger between them-like i suspected-it got completely chopped off. And paper doesnt fit either. (disclaimer-no village idiots were hurt in the testing of the clearances)

I vote...

I'd say the belt has stretched. The belt does run close there but if this is a problem that has recently arisen, the belt must have streched (or the pulley fairy installed undrives over night). The lower rad hose has to come off to replace this belt so you might as well replace the upper and lower hoses while you have the cooling system open. Be careful on restart as the new belt may make contact with the upper hose if it (the upper hose) isn't set up carefully...ask me how I know :rolleyes:

Anthony

lol what happened? I've noticed a mark on my upper rad hose, its a pretty deep little slice mark, actually two, one from the belt and the AC compressor, I dont really see how that occured since I have to physically push the hose to hit those items, I keep meaning to get something to cover that but I always forget, I know that damn thing will break open soon, I guess I when I see tons of smoke I know it happened ;)

Torque...

Torque is what happened. The motor moves around a bit even with good motor mounts. If the motor moves and the rad stays put, there is some interesting twisting that can happen. A wrap of duct tape has gotten me throught the past 10 months but I too should be replacing that upper hose! All I had to do to fix it was give the hose a little twist to get it out of the way but the damage to the hose had already been done :mad: Did this problem just come up or has the belt rubbed against itself as long as you have owned the car?

Anthony

Ive had the same problem with the rubbing of the upper rad hose and the AC compressor and gone through 2 hoses and i blame my HG faliure partially on it cause i have lost coolant in the engine when i needed it most causeing temps to rise before i could know there was even a problem.

My advice, when u buy a new upper hose cut about an inch or two off it and then u shoukld have plenty of clearence. Mine hasent touched at all since.

As far as the belts touching then i would have to agree with everyone here that one of the tension pulleys has bit the dust or the belt has stretched because of age.
How many miles are on the belts ?

Back to the belts touching at the water pump and tensioner. They are not touching if they were there would be a ton of noise. At that point the belts are moving in opposite directions and would make a hell of a racket. I am pretty sure you have underdrive pullies. The first time I saw a set on Vernons car I was shocked, but no one has problems with them (other than getting them to fit sometimes).

The rest of you guys probably need new engine mounts or you have switched to the solid mounts that are taller than stock.

Jeff

i'm voting he has U/D's too. i dont think its possible for a belt to stretch THAT MUCH, and if the tensioner crapped out, its usually the spring inside that breaks, causing the tensioner to fall loose, not get extra tight. Go and measure the water pump pully diameter and that will tell you right there. :)

Q's

Is this a new or existing problem?

New=belt stretch
Existing=OD/UD pullies or stretch

I would agree that the tensioner would most likely fail and go slack not tight.

Anthony

with teh underdrives its very very very close..WOPuldnt eb suprised if it rubs slightly everyso often...You can get a dayco belt that is .5 inches shorter then stock..That will help:O)

no underdrive pulley fairy here...-lmao

no the underdrive fairy didn just come overnight-when i bougt the car it was like that-lmao. ill measure the diameters tom. but would someone post stock vs underdrive pulley diameters? thanks-and the belts do touch, but no there is no noise-thanks.

Back