5% or 10% better for 95

daivd z

i have a 95 and i want to get an overdrive pulley. im getting my new exhaust soon. who has good quality of pulleys and where is the cheepest place to get them? should i get a 10% or 5%?

I think most say that the 10% is too much for the newer blower style. IIRC, the 5% is like a 10% on that one, and a stock one from an 89-93 is like a 5%.
Maybe someone will confirm that.

A '89-93 stock pulley is approx 3% overdrive, so a 5% will in actuality be about an 8% OD pulley on a late model blower. To go with a 10% on a late model blower, you need the serious use of a tuner. I've heard of a lot of detonation with the 10% on the late style sc. I've got an '89 pulley on my '95 supercharger and so far I've gotten it to 14 lbs of boost, but I don't think that I've maxed it out yet. I should find out tonight as I'm going to the strip. And as of now, I'm still running the stock exhaust. I'm not going to OD mine any more until the exhaust gets done.

Yup

You should be able to run the 5% with the normal belt. It will be much easier to get on and off, as you will notice. As for the places to get one, I know of 2 right off the bat; mn12performance.com and supercoupeperformance.com. Those places, however, are probably not the cheapest that you can find, but it will be a place to start.

Also like to add that since with your 95 (and my dad's 94) if the 2% doesn't matter, I'd opt to get the 89-93 blower pulley since it would be much cheaper. You figure average price for a 5% pulley is $90-100 (probably a high average but not sure of prices right off hand) and you can find a used 89-93 pulley for $20-25. I'm not saying that it's the right way to go, but just my 2 cents on it.

Here's an interesting question: What would the effect be of putting a 94/95 pulley on an 89-93 Supercharger? Would it be like a 3% underdrive? Not an important question, just curiousity :)

-Andy "Melon"

Back