What does a stock 92 sc run?

whitesc92

My mother recently gave me her 92 thunderbird sc. what does it run in the quarter mile and what is its top speed? i have read anywhere around 15.4 - 15.7. Thank you.

Trevor

AOD or 5-speed?

You need to know that before you can get an idea. Generally the 5-speeds are faster (stock for stock) than the AODs. But that also depends a lot on the driver. If you can't shift, you'll be slower, I think. AOD's will run 15.7-15.9 whereas your 5-speed will run slightly faster at 15.5 to 15.7. But again, that depends on your driving ability. I've got a slightly modded '89 AOD and ran a 15.267 last night on bald street tires. My mods last night were: removed air silencer, K&N air filter (panel), '95 supercharger with the stock '89 pulley and 1.73:1 roller rockers. Tire pressure was at 22 lbs for better traction but still had significant tire spin. That should give you an idea at any rate.

Not real sure about the top speed. Ford rates it at approximately 140 for each, primarily for insurance purposes. But a 5-speed may be able to get more, but again, not 100% sure.

The engine differences started primarily in '94. There were subtle differences but nothing major. I'm not sure if the '92s had an EGR but early styles did and I know that '93s didn't. Things like the trunck lid and gas tank were changed in '92. I think that the ABS system was changed around '92 as well, although it could have been '93, or '91 for that matter. All those changes were rather sublte. The newer style supercharger came on the '94-'95 models which also featured slightly beefed up internal components. I believe the cam profile was different on the '94-'95s as well, but that is just hearsay. The biggest differences are cosmetic in '92.

My suggestion to you, being new to the supercoupe world, is get get yourself a shop manual. You'll need it. If you are interested in making your SC faster, you will definately need to know how to work on it. Mechanics will charge an arm and a leg for them to scratch their heads and start throwing parts at it. And much of the time, the problem will persist. You're out the $$ and your car still has the same problem. Introduce yourself to supercoupeperformance.com and mn12performance.com (not linked). They both offer a 'consolidated' place to find performance enhancing parts for our cars. But you don't have to limit yourself to those places. There are other places that offer the same items for much cheaper. So check around. Also, learn about the strong points and short coming to these cars. I.e. the head gaskets tend to fail because of poor Ford engineering. But finally and probably most importantly is to have fun with it. Enjoy it. It was a car well ahead of its time.

ABS was changed in 93. Revised Blower and different compression in 94/95.

There is likely a FAQ entry for that.

well what is a 92 thunderbird KB SWB SC and why have i read it runs 14.6 1/4 mile? is that a different car? how do you know which one you ahve?

There is only one KB SWB car. ;) And there are only 5 SWB's total, 3 of which are already accounted for on this sight leaving only two others (one of which is the KB one) unnaccounted for, so it is pretty safe to say you don't have one. The biggest difference is the lack of a back seat. The best I've gotten out of my 89 SWB is 14.82, but that is with some sticky tires and a lot of practice. Normally it runs 15.20's. The 92 has a larger MAF, but that is not proven to make any difference. It's mostly all driver and race track.

Check my member page for pictures.

top speed

If my speedo is accurate my 92 will top the 145 and still have a little pedal left. I can't say what it's top speed is but I'm pretty sure mine has hit at least the 145 although I backed off of it real soon as the front end started to shake and my tires are only rated at about 130mph. ( They are "t" rated but I don't recall exactly what that is) Hope this helps you.

Corey:cool:

What's a 1991 T-bird SC AOD run in the 1/4?
And what would you suggest as best cheap mod to bring this down? I'm thinking doing exhaust, but I don't want to spend to much. I just bought it, and I put her on the road about half-n-hour ago. It has 110,000km's (66,000miles apx) and pretty nice condition.

-Sam.

What's the possible ET with my 92 SC 5spd-- stock plus a smaller 3" pulley and K&N panel filter? I need a baseline to compare with my new motor in spring.

well, in regards to top speed, i dont remember where but i read that it is somewhere around 150. and i kno that the 4r70w is governed at like 110, but i'm not sure about the aod's. as for e.t.'s my 92 sc w/ exhaust and k&n cone filter was low 15's, if that helps

not to steal your thunder, but out of curiousity what spec clutch did you get and how do you like it?

i ahve the stage 1 spec clutch. i got it from super coupe performance. i like it alot, i had to get use to it because its a much stiffer clutch, but it doesn't slip or drag at all

Back