Billowing Smoke in WA (Raw Fuel)

BobGPz

Ok guys. I am 2 freak outs away from parting this thing out. Have any of you had this problem?

Driving around two weeks ago, the car was running perfectly. I went down a steep hill, and about half way down I pushed in the clutch, she dies (Very rare for this to happen). I start her back up and about 4 miles later she is running like crap. After a few more miles I stop at a stop light and white smoke is just rolling out of the exhaust with a major rich fuel odor. It was so rich that after 30 seconds of smelling it you feel like passing out, I mean it is really strong!!

Since then, I checked most all wiring in the engine compartment. I did notice the balancer was shot and thought it was banging into the crank sensor pickup vane (Metal thing behind the balancer) causing maybe a false knock sensor. So, I replaced it with a new Ford balancer/pulley set. Replaced the O2 sensors as per request of my handy dandy manual/code reader.

Start her up, and no dice! She is still running awful with raw fuel pouring out the back. Doh!

I have tried an alternate DIS, Wire Wiggle test, sweet talk, and Code scanning. Only codes I got was that either left or maybe right side O2 sensor reading lean at all times, and replaced O2 sensor as stated above.

Any ideas or anyone that has had similar problems, please help!!! Thanks guys!

OK, so I replaced the f***'n leaking fuel injector and thought since I was in there that I'd save my self the problem of repairing a few things later on and put new Fuel Injector O-Rings, Regulator, vac lines with zip ties, heater hoses, etc.

2 Friggin' weeks working/waiting on this pile O' crap and it didn't do a flipping thing! Still raw fuel pouring out the back tailpipes.

Could a bad Throttle Posistion Sensor cause this? What does it do? Any help greatly appreciated.

PS. IT IS NOT THE HEAD GASKETS!

Engine compartment is basically stock except for few Mods: SCP Fresh Air Induction, Magnecor Wires, new plugs, SCP Exhaust System from exhaust manifolds back (LOVE IT!!), 190lb-hr Fuel Pump, new fuel filter, new factory balancer, new O2 sensors, new DIS, new Coil Pack, and misc hoses, belts, and lots of Simple Green!

Last edited:
White smoke sounds like head gasket to me. Drain your oil and see if any antifreeze comes out with it. Or look in the radiator for an oil slick. I hope it is not the gaskets though. Pain in the a$$ job! Good luck.

IF you can get hte chance, and don't mind bringing it a ways, drive it up on a tow, and we can tear it down, and put the new gaskets in at my place, I live in Kennewick, just a few hours east of you, plus, it would be great to work on an SC, and to meet a fellow enthusiast. And I can provide food and beverages:D

You changed the Crank Sensor too?

Have you checked your fuel pressure?

I have not seen what happens when a fuel pressure regulator fails but it might let too much fuel get into the engine. One of the experts might chime in to help.

Also I think a rich mixture should be black smoke?

head gaskets

White smoke huh? Does it have a sickly sweet smell to it? If it does then my vote is for head gaskets because fuel will produce a black smoke. I hope that I am wrong, but the symptoms just sound like head gaskets to me. Good luck.

Dont know a definate answer... but there are a few of us washington guys that have been working on these things non stop every weekend for about 2 months, so if you need any help with anything let us know.

Also... check out the super coupe club of washington at: www.sccow.com

see ya there!

I really doubt it is the head gaskets, because there is no oil in the radiator, nor any water in the oil. but I am not ruling this out though. It has been suggested that possibly a stuck open fuel injector, yet I see your points about "Black Smoke". But the raw fuel smell is SOOOO strong! After shut down you can see white vapors seeping out the tail pipe for a few minutes.

As far as crank sensor replacement, I did not change it because it looked like it was in good shape and I have replaced almost everything else. It is getting expensive. I think I may try a leak down test to see if the Head Gaskets are holding, and I'll check injectors for continuity. Tried to use a stethascope to hear pulsing, but engine is so loud at 2,000 rpm idle. Arghhhh! This thing is knarly under full throttle, it starts to burn all fuel but not unless full throttle.

Maybe a bad or dirty Mass Air Flow Sensor? Thanks for the help guys! Greatly Appreciated.

OK,
I did the fuel pressure check via the valve nicely placed for my convenience on the fuel rail. Upon Key on-engine off, the guage goes to 35ish lbs. But then falls to -0- after a few seconds.

While running, it is around 30 lbs, but still at high idle and around 2000 rpms. I have come to conclusion that an injector is stuck wide open for the pressure to drop this fast.

A blown head gasket will not cause this, at least I believe so.
Anybody elses opinion agree??

PS: While search around, I did find the main large nut going to the SC top was finger loose, tightened up with my handy dandy SC Spanner Nut Wrench.

Last edited:
I believe you have it figured out.

I had an injector stick open on my SC once and it had the symptoms you describe (wanted to stall, stong fuel smell, and a lot of vapor out the tailpipes).

OK then...

YOu have it down to finding the guilty inj. I suppose you could disconnect each inj. individualy until you lose part of the symtom that you have now..Should be rather obvious when ya dis connect the right one...

Good Luck man...

BTW..Have you stopped in @ the SCCoW???

Brad

Either an injector is stuck open or the fuel pressure regulator diaphram has ruptured allowing fuel to leak into the vacuum/boost refrence hose.

It's easy to check the regulator..just reach behind the intake manifold adaptor (with cold engine) and pull the vacuum hose off the regulator and see if fuel runs out. If you can't tell, have some one turn the ignition on for a second.. if the regulator is bad it will squirt fuel so be careful.

David

With my luck, the culprit injector will be the one UNDER the lower IC tube/Plenum.

But if I unplug it, in theory it will still dump fuel if it is stuck open right?

Maybe I should just replace all six and call it safe. They made it exactly 120,000 miles. +5 to get home.

I'll let you all know the outcome....

Hey Cudaz101, I been to the SCCoW, I was supposed to get an 89 XR-7, so I signed up there, been a while since I checked back, but I am not too far from you, I live west of you in the tri-cities, Kennewick, if you ever pass through sometime don't hesitate to stop:D

Cool...

Same to you if you ever come out this way...Hey ya never know..lol

Do you know Frank? He has a 89-93 SC, can't remember which now, but he use to frequent the SCCoW as well...He was trying to put something together local last I knew...Anywa he is from the Tri-Citties area as well...

There is a meet in the making on the coast, maybe thsi month the date is not set...Check us out again, maybe we can make the meet together...

Brad

Sounds good, yeah, I have talked to frank, sold his sc the rat, oh well, he got a monster of a camaro, and he still has his nova to work on, oh well, nice kid, but be sure to give me a holler on here, let me know what's goin down, I like to check out SCCoW every now and then, I was away to long, and they deactivated my user name.:eek: Oh well, but I will be sure and check it out!

92CougLS said:
IF you can get hte chance, and don't mind bringing it a ways, drive it up on a tow, and we can tear it down, and put the new gaskets in at my place, I live in Kennewick, just a few hours east of you, plus, it would be great to work on an SC, and to meet a fellow enthusiast. And I can provide food and beverages:D

Wow, wish I had someone as eager to help me when I needed my motor swapped. I live in Seattle so maybe next time I need some help on my SC I can call on you too :) ? Are you a member over at sccow.com?

It is always easier to fix with more than one guy looking at it and saying "I have to pull out what!! just to get to that!!!" I'm game to lend a hand if I can. But I am no SC expert. I bring the tools, you buy the pizza! :p

BigCletus, anything you wanna do, I am game for, I LOVE these cars, I got mine out in the driveway minus hood, working on some fiberglass, doing something a little custom, you know, for the looks of it, but yeah, anytime you wanna get together, or need help on a project, I am down. And I grill one hell of a mean burger too. We can kick it, tear down the car, piss my neighbors off with loud music, and grill us up some sweet fun. I hear when I grill it's pretty good, I am a little proud of that, I can pay you back too if you wanna stop at the store and grab some beer, don't drink myself, but I won't stop you. And yeah, I just reregistered, I used to be 89CougXR7, that was back when I was getting one, now I am stuck with the un-boosted 92 Coug LS. Which happens to be my new name there.

Don't worry Bob, when that happens, I look and say, well, if I can fit my head this way, and bend my arm that way, it shouldn't be a problem, and most of the time that works:D But seriously, you bring the car, and I got the rest of it covered, you guys drop me a line if you need help, or if you just wanna meet up halfway somewhere, I love my car, and I don't like not having friends to join up with and play with.

Plus, never ridden in an SC before, I need to know what it feels like to have all that torque toss me into the seat.

Back