Another personal best tonite & just missed a 12.9

Mike Puckett

SCCoA Member
You wouldn't think that on one of the hotest days of the year I'd get a personal best but I did. It started last weekend when I got a 'Jerry' dyno tune at Marietta Ford. He was in town and dynotuning just for the day. He was pretty much tweaking 19 rwhp out of almost everyone he tuned, mostly Mustangs. On my 319rwhp dyno pull in Dec that's posted on this site it was 45 degrees out. Saturday it was 85 degrees and my 1st and baseline pull was only 292. 3 pulls later it was up to 311 and the the A/F ratio was pretty flat at 12.0 to 12.1 all the way up 5200 for a 19rwhp gain. Well, it showed up at the drag strip today when I ran a 13.034 when the temps dropped down to 73 degrees in the night. I backed completely out of it before the finish line trying not to breakout but to no avail. I blew my 13.25 dial-in away. If I'd stayed in it the whole way I'd easily gotten a 12.9. I totally roasted a 13.4 dialed-in Z28 catching and passing him before the 330' marker but lost. I couldn't believe I caught him so quickly but he had a 2.2 sec 60' time to my 1.865. If I'd only realized I was running so quick I'd gladly stayed in it & lost to have gotten that 12.9. I saw it coming earlier but didn't heed the premonition. Phooey! My worst run of the day was a 13.5 when the air temp in the pits was 95 and the track temp was a reportedly 134 degrees. My air intake is less than 2' off the track surface. The humidity went from 35% in the heat of the day to 75% when I made that run in the cool night. There is something about cool summertime nights that produces quick times as this has happened to me before. Could it be because the dew sets right at that time? I also ran two 13.1's and outran a Vortec supercharged 4.6L 98 Mustang but lost on reaction time. This V6 TBird is really getting noticed at Atlanta Dragway. The other good news is that I'm back in the points lead by myself again as my co-leader lost in both of his buyback rounds. I don't think I gained any positions in the quickest SC list but I'll submit it anyway.

I just have to say that is so cool to hear stories like that. I hope that MM&FF got to see some action like that at the last event they did. Cool beans dude, keep it up ;).

Hey that is pretty cool Mike, it will be sweet to run a 12 on the stock bottom end. Maybe St Louis will be the place! Is that 3530 with driver or without? I recently ran a 13.1 @ 104.3 in the cool of the night. Broke out bad on my 13.25 dial as well. :(

Last edited:
The car weight is without me in it. But, my weight is down to 157lbs now so I don't add much. I'm about to drop even more weight when I put my racing seats in. That should knock off another 50 lbs. I'll post some pics when I put them in. I'm just waiting on the manual driver side seat tracks to arrive, hopefully next week. I'm also going to start removing that sound deadening material coating the metal floor. We won't run again until Aug 2nd. Now I know to adjust my dial-in appropriately for the temps but I'm limited to a minimum of 13.00 in trophy street class. I'd like to be able to get it to the point of running low 13's while shifting at only 4500 rpm or so and save the engine. I've also starting running top oil in the gas for increased upper cylinder lubrication.

Back