Do we have this technology like the ricers????

I went into a local speedshop the other day and noticed this computer gadget designed to give most imports improved air-induction. It costs $400+ dollars, and this young dude swore that it would most likely work on my SC even though domestic vehicles were not listed on the box. I was not about to spend $400.00 to find out. LOL!:rolleyes:
I know that cold air induction kits are an option, but what the hell are these ricers up to here?

Has anyone else heard of a computer designed specifically to greatly improve the consumption of air intake?:confused:
DB91

JJanney said:
EEC Tuner?? Dunno, maybe it's a MAF :)

I dunno.:confused: It sort of looked like a hand held computer that plugged into the car and changed the settings in the main computer.
I guess it does what we turn to a Mass Airflow meter to do?
DB91:confused:

Speak rice?

Is it an apexi super afc?? if it is they are really cool I have one on my rx-7 and it rocks. Its just a piggy back unit. But Im pretty sur it wont work on a domestic, ecspecially since my instruction manual was in japanese. Fortunetly I do speak some rice so...it worked out fine.

Re: Speak rice?

lessonintorque said:
Is it an apexi super afc?? if it is they are really cool I have one on my rx-7 and it rocks. Its just a piggy back unit. But Im pretty sur it wont work on a domestic, ecspecially since my instruction manual was in japanese. Fortunetly I do speak some rice so...it worked out fine.
I'm still confused by this, but I will try to understand.:confused: :confused: :confused:
DB91

Good chit mang

check out apex-usa.com the company is apexi and the super afc (air-fuel computer) modifies air flow meter signal to optimize air fuel ratio. it is a damn good product check out their web sit if you want to learn more. it monitors intake manifold vacuum/ boost pressure, rpm, throttle position, karman frequency,air flow corection %. You can monitor up to 4 of these at a time, with up to three different ways of display (graph,gauge style,analog,etc..) It also can record and play back one parameter for the last minute, two for 30 seconds, and finally it can record all four for 20 seconds great for drag runs. you can also alter your fuel through out most of the curve with this "gadget" Im sure it can be adapted to a domestic, but I dont know of anyone using it. Its worth the money man i gotta tell you its a bargain. Check it out. Thats what I mean by speaking ricer but most people in hondas only speak sticker:D

Re: Good chit mang

lessonintorque said:
check out apex-usa.com the company is apexi and the super afc (air-fuel computer) modifies air flow meter signal to optimize air fuel ratio. it is a damn good product check out their web sit if you want to learn more. it monitors intake manifold vacuum/ boost pressure, rpm, throttle position, karman frequency,air flow corection %. You can monitor up to 4 of these at a time, with up to three different ways of display (graph,gauge style,analog,etc..) It also can record and play back one parameter for the last minute, two for 30 seconds, and finally it can record all four for 20 seconds great for drag runs. you can also alter your fuel through out most of the curve with this "gadget" Im sure it can be adapted to a domestic, but I dont know of anyone using it. Its worth the money man i gotta tell you its a bargain. Check it out. Thats what I mean by speaking ricer but most people in hondas only speak sticker:D

That really sounds cool! I sure hope it can be used for domestic cars. I wonder if anyone else is making this besides for rice?:confused: I will definately be looking into this.:cool:
DB91

BTW- That's www.apexi-usa.com

Last edited:
You know what Ive run it on my rx-7 turbo II for about a year and a half and its a real toy, but in that time Ive never thought of trying to put one on my domestic. I think it may be kinda difficult. The main reason is that it had presettings for my rx ( and most japanese cars) so I had somewhere to start off and then I fine tuned it as I went along, it was much easier that way. Maybe talk to someone who does cpus for our cars, because it is only a piggyback unit. Ill look into it also Id like it for my SC. If you get one you can get it for cheaper than 400, its about 300-340$ And remember not all those who speak rice are bad just those that speak sticker:cool:

im in the process of puttin a safc in my 93 i posted about safc's like a month ago and got laughed at, i think they're a great idea. i know that some of them come preset for cars, my best friend has one for his turbo GSR hatch, and its a vafc (v-tec air fule controller) but i know if u go 2 the apexi website they give u full instructions in american, wat wire piggy backs onto wat, pretty rad. i also found out that you can get them "blank" and program them yourself, they work by remapping your fuel curve, your air fuel ratio, there's even a boost controller in there, and they piggyback onto your ecu, im just figureing out the wiring diagram and how to wire it and then its good to go.

the good the bad and the rice

some of these older gentlemen dont think that all these ricer gadgets are worth the effort it takes to figure em out, and install and make em work. How ever I started out with imports so I realize that there is a whole lot of untapped technology and know how going on. To each his own but I think a fast car is a fast car and im not lauging at you. good luck on making it work bro and if you make it work throw up a thread I at least am interested. And as you read in this thread some of these guys are pretty open minded about stuff so, good luck.

You guys wanna know what an S-AFC is? Its a newer computerized version of the Pro-M Optimizer.. Thats all it is.. The difference tho is that you can adjust fuel at 12 RPM points.. It also has datalogging for certain parameters in the motor.. The S-AFC was also designed to work on a HotWire MAF equipped car which is what Fords and GM's use.. Im debating using one in the Drag SC but since i have an EEC Tuner and probably upgrading to a stand alone late next year i wont need it.. On my Eclipse tho it has netted some impressive HP gains as you can tell by my sig :D I made a post about this 2 years ago and no one was interested then either.. I guess old ways die hard.. im still trying to convince everyone about the benefits of an EGT Gauge..

KwikGSeX said:
You guys wanna know what an S-AFC is? Its a newer computerized version of the Pro-M Optimizer.. Thats all it is.. The difference tho is that you can adjust fuel at 12 RPM points.. It also has datalogging for certain parameters in the motor.. The S-AFC was also designed to work on a HotWire MAF equipped car which is what Fords and GM's use.. Im debating using one in the Drag SC but since i have an EEC Tuner and probably upgrading to a stand alone late next year i wont need it.. On my Eclipse tho it has netted some impressive HP gains as you can tell by my sig :D I made a post about this 2 years ago and no one was interested then either.. I guess old ways die hard.. im still trying to convince everyone about the benefits of an EGT Gauge..

KwikGSeX,
This is a pretty interesting concept man. I think a lot of people will have no choice than to listen real soon!
:cool:
DB91

knowledge

Ok you take a honda 4 banger and you want to make it fast, you cant get the raw torque from big displacement, you have an aluminum block (not the strongest), and pretty much the only thing thats realy a plus is dohc, sooooo... you have to beef up what you got with what you can and tune it with in an inch of its life! I know "ricers that can tune there little japanese toy so its wound so tight its tearing up 5.0's,350's, etc... Thats from tuning. I also know guys with 15 g's in some stanger (no offense disclaimer: I am not impling anything about your stanger, his stanger, or her stanger, only said stanger) that know all about mechanical mods and boost and nos but cant tune it. Its just about knowledge and that cant be argued, so let em not listen. just gives the open minded a little bit more to play with. And that means that one day I just might be the fastest SC/ricer, in at least my town anyway.:cool: ;)

Re: knowledge

lessonintorque said:
Ok you take a honda 4 banger and you want to make it fast, you cant get the raw torque from big displacement, you have an aluminum block (not the strongest), and pretty much the only thing thats realy a plus is dohc, sooooo... you have to beef up what you got with what you can and tune it with in an inch of its life! I know "ricers that can tune there little japanese toy so its wound so tight its tearing up 5.0's,350's, etc... Thats from tuning. I also know guys with 15 g's in some stanger (no offense disclaimer: I am not impling anything about your stanger, his stanger, or her stanger, only said stanger) that know all about mechanical mods and boost and nos but cant tune it. Its just about knowledge and that cant be argued, so let em not listen. just gives the open minded a little bit more to play with. And that means that one day I just might be the fastest SC/ricer, in at least my town anyway.:cool: ;)

I must agree. Knowledge IS the key to all walks of life.:D It does not matter what you got if you don't know how to use it. That's why Bruce Lee was my IDOL!
DB91;)

Back