power window ?

blownv6tbird

my drivers side window has stopped going up and down. i know that gear that transfers power from the window motor to the regulator is notorious for stripping out and that is what my problem seems to be. does anyone know the ford part # for this part. thanx
brandon

Also check the tracks that the window slides up and down in. There's one in front and back. (easy to replace). The back one usually rusts out first near the bottom causing the felt to press harder and harder on the window which causes the motor to work harder trying to compensate for the added resistance which eventually causes the motor to strip or burn out.

Easy Question:

How do you take off the driver's side door panel? I can't seem to figure it out...

To Remove Door Panel

First, open the door. This makes it much easier.

Remove the black trim piece at the front upper corner.

There is a screw at the power window switch panel - to access this, pull up on the front of the switch panel until it pops out.
BE CAREFUL - on the bottom of the panel, there is a clip made of plastic - pull up too hard and it will snap.

Remove the screw at the lower corner of the door near the accent light. It's burried in the carpet.

Carefully lift the door panel off by pushing it straight upward. Do not pull it outward until the clips on the panel have cleared their holes. The clips are plastic molded into the door panel and will snap if you pull outward. When you push the panel up, it will sort of pop out. Pull the door handle as if you were opening the door so the panel will clear it.

To install, do the reverse.

Good luck.

Mark
'93 SC

I had the same problem as you do now. Another guy posted these type of instructions. I followed them and my window works perfect now.

After taking the panel off there should we three bolts that i think are 10mm, these should be attaced to the power window motor. Take that off and unplug it. Now to open up the motor. i'm not sure about the order of these next 2 steps. 1) Take off 3 torx screws from the flat black plastic/rubber part. 2)To take off the gear there is a little 3/4 ring holding it on the little shaft. Now that you have the whole thing opened up and gear off there is a hundred pieces of broken plastic.

To make your own cams. go get 3 nuts that will fit in each corner. Then grind them down till they will fit, when u are done the nuts will have about 2/3 of the material of what they use to have and they should look like a 'C'. then assemble everything and it should work. Tell me if this helps or not, i can clear some things up for you if u need me too. Good luck, Peace

Sergio

There are posts for this with pics. Do a search. You can use 3 ball bearings, nuts, or plastic dowls, to fix the motor. I assume you can hear the motor running endlessly - for that fix. If you hear the motor and it stops, then it must be hooked up and the track goes up and down. I just re-glued a window into the track on one side of car that motor stoped but window stayed up. Putting 3 balls in the motor on the other side that hear it running as long as I hold the button, and window stays up. Some tracks have the plastic cradle break, but there are metal replacements. Just click on the search button above and get the pics for all situations to help....Doug
PS: Don't forget to lube the window tracks so it is easier on the whole system.

Last edited:
Good pics. Someone else shows the plastic dowls in a thread. My Cousin usses ball bearings or smaller nuts than this that he does not modify, on all Fords. He just usses what ever he has and the car never comes back on him. He prefers metal, others plastic. I have read that Auto Zone has a cheap kit with plastic bearings/dowls.

I got mine from Autozone for like 7 bucks or something like that... The plastic was actually designed to be a break away feature incase the youngens got their heads caught in a rising window or something... Hey I like the idea of the metal ones, let's not worry about cutting the kids head off!!!:D :D

RJ

Re: Very good point!

Road Runner said:
Will pass this on to my Cousins shop. Could use it on the wife's dog though.:p

Mine would be the damn cat!! I wonder if the window would go up quick enough to catch that cat in flight??:eek: :eek:

Hey kamakazie_1, do you remember the part number when you purchased them and what they were called?

Thanks,
Brando

Yes what is part number as AZ here in TX wants to sell the $26 kit with gear and everything. The salesmen are not the sharpest tool in the shed to look further. I need several as I own several that need work.

Sorry I'm so late getting back on here guys.... Let me check around in the AM and see if I can find the receipt on that... It's been a year or so but I know they still offer them.. Seems like it was called a "power window rebuild kit".....

I know there was two different Mfg. of it, one was like RoadRunner said it was something like $20 a side, the other was named the same but it only had the plastic dowls and something else in the kit...

One of our guys down here in our local chapter works for AZ but he's down in the keys for summer vacation from school, I don't think he'll be back till Aug..

Let me look around and I'll let y'all know what I find in the AM..

RJ

Window motor removal

How do you remove the motor from the window? So far i've removed the entire door paneling. Do i need to remove the window glass first??

Thanks,
Brando

Brando

If your panaling is removes you should have the exposed plastic waterproof shield. That I removed starting from the right hand corner(carefully) taking it all the off until the bottom few inches. From there, remove the speaker. Then the 3 small bolts that hold the motor in place(the only bolts that you should see toward the bottom left center of the door). Then reach in and grab the motor off of the gear, unplugging the electrical connection, and removing it from the speaker hole. There is no need to touch your glass. Let me know if this works out for you.

Thanks NorthrnSCownr, your instructions worked great. I already took the motors out and rebuilt them. Both my windows are working perfect now.

Thanks,
Brando

Back