Strange electrical problem

livn

Recently my lights have started to flicker (not on and off, but bright and dim) and not just the headlights, ALL of my lights. I replaced the headlight switch not too long ago after it started to act up and caused my headlights to flicker on and off, so i dont think its that. Ive done some searching, and it hasnt helped. Any ideas?

You might need to replace the wiring harness also.
Unplug the headlamp switch and see it the connector or wires look melted. There is a recall on this, but for only 1992 Sc's
99S30 OCT 99 Recall - Headlamp Switch/Connector Replacement

I've seen the data sheet on it and it states to replace the harness connector also if it appears burnt.

Ford E9SZ 11654 CA
wiring connector for headlamp switch, from recall 99S30 (SW-5543

What shape are your battery cables in, and are all the connections clean and tight. They will corrode over time.
Sometimes visually they may look all right, but they aren't. You should still take off each connection, clean it up good, and put them back on.

i just put a new battery in a few months ago and cleaned the terminals and theyre fine.
i didnt look at the wiring harness to the headlight switch closely though, ill check that

Let me make sure I understand…
At first they flickered on and off. Then they flickered from low beam to high beam. And… you changed the light switch. I once real that quite a large number (I can’t remember the exact percentage) of new electrical parts sold for cars a defective.

I might try taking that switch back and try another one. Maybe even from another store.

This is especially suspicious since this started when you changed the switch.

Just my two cents.

Good Luck!

Back