PDA

View Full Version : Anyone Cleaned Speaker Covers?

NorthrnSCownr
07-13-2003, 10:19 PM
Mine are grey and getting dirty. I thought of simply trying soap and water, but thought I would ask you guys first. Thanks

JAFO
07-13-2003, 11:05 PM
I used a spray carpet cleaner that came with a scrubber on it. Spray it lightly and scrub lightly. It helped, but still a little bit of stain on it. Got out about 90% of the dirty water looking stain. Best I could think of. Best if you could do that with the panel off of the door so you don't spray your speakers.

livn
07-13-2003, 11:17 PM
i ran a steam cleaner quickly over mine and that did the trick nicely.
just make sure you dont play music for a while after in case you get the speakers wet so that they have a chance to dry.
or, just pull off the door panel, it only takes a minute or two.

NorthrnSCownr
07-14-2003, 07:17 AM
I planned on taking it out so I could get the front and back, and do a better job. My speakers are shot anyway, and sometime in the next 10 years will be replaced when I can find the extra money...lol

TBirdDriver
07-14-2003, 08:46 AM
I used a fabric spray paint to re-paint them. I did not even take them off the doors. I just carefully masked the area with masking tape, including the area surrounding the cover to protect from overspray, and they came out looking like new.

NorthrnSCownr
07-14-2003, 01:33 PM
GREAT idea!

TBirdDriver
07-14-2003, 02:25 PM
I also spray painted the faded rear deck covering thats under the rear window covering the subwoofer, and the third brake light cover with the fabric paint.
Actually, if I do it again I will probably just take off the door covers, (they are easy to remove).

JAFO
07-14-2003, 04:48 PM
That is a good idea, didn't know there was such a thing out there. Might have to look into that. Not sure how well it would work on the back deck area though, be sure to post if you try it.

TBirdDriver
07-14-2003, 04:52 PM
I did the back deck last year at the same time I did the speaker covers.

Still looks great.