DIS overheating or what's the prob??

MTTod

Finally got to take the SC on it's first long trip and didn't go very well. Temp outside was 105 and the car was running hot. Pulled of at a rest area and it died. It would fire but die immediately. Holding the pedal down only loaded it up so it was getting fuel.

I let it sit for about 10 minutes and it fired right off. Ran a few minutes and died again. Let it sit for 20 or 30 minutes and it ran fine until it got hot again.

Driving home today it was cooler and it ran great. Coming through one town it was over 100 again and the car died when we slowed down. Runs ok as long as it's over 2500 RPM. Stopped, let it cool down and ran fine.

Is this a DIS problem or coil pack or what? Couldn't pull codes since I wasn't anywhere close to home.

Nobody beleives me on this board, but I have had DIS overheat problems. When I had problems was after the car was full hot then let the car sit for 15 minutes then go out and start car. The car would miss and run badly for upto a minute. Now this would happen usually after a 15-20 minute drive then go into a store and come back out real quick. Then summer came on and it was happening all the time. Replaced DIS with old Wells unit that I picked up in the junkyard. Problem went away and hasn't returned.

I have also had problems with Wells DIS modules from Autozone on my nephew's 90 SC. Right now he is using a used motorcraft DIS because the Wells that he was usiing for a year started cutting out on acceleration with a hot engine. I swapped an old Motorcraft, his original, that was replaced when we had crank sensor problems. Got the Wells replaced and installed new Wells and problem returned. Then went back to motorcraft and hasn't had a problem. I am an electronics and computer guy so I know how to apply heatsink grease so that isn't an issue.

I'm going to check the flatness of the latest Wells units maybe they aren't sitting flat on the A/C bracket. They may need lapping to get them truley flat.

WHAT TO USE

make yourself a raised heatsink about 1 '' air gap under it with cooling fins.............check out tech search some one made one with pic,s......................fast freddie :cool: :cool: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

Back