What temp should our cars run at ideally?

racecougar

What temperature should our cars run at ideally? I'm not asking about what they run with factory programming, but rather, what range would be best for the engine in general? 180, 200, 210? The factory fan settings seem a little too high for my comfort, so I'd like to know what temperature I should shoot for when lowering them.

Thanks,
Rod

I haven’t searched the boards for this but… I would also like to know. It has to do with an upcoming project.

I have read alot of these posts with high interest and what i came away with is 160 is too low, could create sludge in your engine .180 is probably too cool as well so when i install my cool fan switches i'm gonna go for the 195- 197 range. I agree that 208 and 228 is just scary !

Jeff

Yes, I am aware of the damaging effects of running the engine at too low of a temperature (added cylinder wall wear, the sludge you mentioned, etc). I'm also very aware of the damaging effects of running it at too high of a temperature (overheating, blown headgaskets, cracked/warped heads, etc). I'm guessing that an operating temp between 185-200 would be ideal, but I'm not certain. That's why I decided to ask everyone elses opinion on it before I change my fan settings.

-Rod

I have heard that there are some Ford engineers on this site and would like to get their input. I’m sure they would know what is the most ideal temp for our Engines.

racecougar said:
Yes, I am aware of the damaging effects of running the engine at too low of a temperature (added cylinder wall wear, the sludge you mentioned, etc). I'm also very aware of the damaging effects of running it at too high of a temperature (overheating, blown headgaskets, cracked/warped heads, etc). I'm guessing that an operating temp between 185-200 would be ideal, but I'm not certain. That's why I decided to ask everyone elses opinion on it before I change my fan settings.

-Rod

I'm with you...and watching with interest..
I agree there are some Ford guys on here...
Anybody??

Not the same as the SC but I know my old 85 Z-28 was set to run at 225 degrees. This higher temperature was supposed to decrease the emissions on the car. I never had a problem with the car running at that temperature. But then again it was a small block v-8.

I've always read the ideal is between 180 and 200 degrees, for most any car. If you're able to engineer your thermo, rad, and fan(s) setup to give you that, no worries. Not always as easy as it sounds though with these cars.

Factory settings are engineered for higher eventual temps, for emissions mainly, as mentioned, so the only thing you may give up is some lower No2 readings etc. making it trickier to get that emissions sticker. You could always disable the fan for that hour in the inspection line though, right? :)

Back