Temp gage

Guy Montaquila

Hi Everyone,
My 90 SC has been running warmer than I would like, around the M or higher in NORM. The fan seems to turn on when it suppose to, and the t-stat is opening up. I was curious, what digital or other temp gages would you recommend to measure temperature (actual numbers)? I guess I would measure at the t-stat housing. Is that the common way to do it? Thanks for the help.
Guy

I'm very happy with my Autometer Ultra-Lite Coolant Gauge. It comes with a sending unit which installs in place of your stock sending unit.

autometer%20gauge.jpg

-Rod

Thanks. Nice setup Racecougar. Can you tell me a bit about the work involved to put one in. Do they completely replace the stock gage, or are they in addition to? Do they use the same sensor? Is the sensor what you are calling the sending unit, or is that something else?
Guy

Thanks for the compliment. For the gauge itself, you need to hook up 3 wires. One wire splices into a key on power source, one gets attached to a good ground, and one goes to the sensor/sending unit. For gauge lighting, there are two wires to hook up. One splices into the dimmer wire for the instrument cluster, and the other gets attached to a good ground.

At first, I tried hooking the gauge up to the stock sensor/sending unit, but the resistance must be different from the sensor/sending unit that they supply because the gauge was reading over 180 degrees and the car had not even been run that day. I then replaced the stock sensor/sending unit with the Autometer one (supplied with the gauge) and the readings seem to be very accurate. I left my factory gauge wire unhooked, so I'm using this gauge as a replacement.

-Rod

Back