intercoolers

rplaster

Are their any alternatives for after market intercoolers besides the MP FMIC and a double IC? Has anyone put a water to air intercooler on their SC? Is water to air better than air to air?

That's all there are that are built specifically for our cars. Anything else would be custom. A couple people are working on putting Whipple chargers on their cars to replace the Eaton blower. Both of these people are building Air to Water intercoolers.

It's all based on how well the system is designed. Theoretically, a Air to Water intercooler has a greater ability to absorb heat than an Air to Air intercooler. But if all the components don't work properly, it can be less efficient than air to air. The complexity of water pumps, and plubing make an Air to Water intecooler more complex.

Thanks Mike i guess they did'nt make enough of our cars to get the attention of the aftermarket companies. Hey Mike do you know what time the next water show starts?

In a purely scientific sense, an air-water IC is less efficient than air-air because it uses two heat exchangers instead of one, and you lose efficiency with each exchange. But it has a big advantage in that you can potentially cool the air charge to below the ambient air temperature (with ice in the water tank), which you can't do with an air-air exchanger. Plus you have more flexibility in the size and location of the exchangers. For every day street driving, I think I'd stick with air-air, but for all out racing the air-water would probably be better.

BTW, when is the next water show? Somebody should put a sign...

I thought the guys running propane said It simply doesn't work on our cars. I know David Neibert has not had any luck with it.

Alcohol injection works really well on SC'd vehicles. I know it's shown good gains in the Dakota R/T SC'd applications. And the Dak R/T's are really prone to detonation.

Back