Thanks! - High Idle/Stall . . . . fixed

pops90sc

Greetings,

I have been reading these forums for quite some time now and have found this arena to be an invaluable resource. Thanks to those who previously posted advice about using a Ford replacement Idle Air Control (IAC)

Symptoms:
- Idle in park higher, around 1100 rpm. Sometimes zooms up to 3000 rpm.

- While driving around town, car accelerates by itself. Not good.
- Weird sound - the dying goose, fog horn noise
- car stalls

My mechanic replaced the IAC with an aftermarket part and the problem did not go away. I brought to his attention the advice of this distinguished forum and he agreed to try a Ford OEM IAC.

Lo and behold the problem was fixed!!!. . . . . .sort of.

While turning on the A/C on when stopped at a light, the idle will drop and the car dies. Every time.

So, back to the SSCoA forum I go. . . .
I disconnected the battery for an hour and did the computer re-learn drill. The car runs great now. Thanks again to SCCoA!

I got 26.4 mpg on the first full tank of gas after the repair. It's never been that high and I've owned the car for almost 8 years.

B

pops90sc said:
My mechanic replaced the IAC with an aftermarket part and the problem did not go away.
Surely. In fact, I'm sure the idle raced. I learned the same thing.
While turning on the A/C on when stopped at a light, the idle will drop and the car dies. Every time.
Now you need to look at your engine mounts. aka motor mounts. Post back if you want to know why and how to check them :D

Back