Current Project

JJanney

All right, so I've been holding out. I have been working on polishing my spare SC top. I've got pictures here:

http://my.fit.edu/~jjanney/stuff/index.htm

I've just about gotten all of the paint off, and I am going to buy some more polishing wheels tomorrow for the ol' Dremel. I have to say it looks a lot better silver than crap gray.

After some decent polishing, and smoothing, then fine grit hand sanding, it'll look pretty decent.

I'm trying my hand at IC tubes next. I just need a pair to work on. I've got an extra blower, that may be fun to polish.

Attachments

• top1.jpg
    top1.jpg
    27.6 KB · Views: 140
Micah Miller over at the Thunderbird Underground also just did all his IC and blower related stuff, after buying the tools to do it. It will look damn nice for you, just be patient.

Show us some more pics of the progress and when it's done.

Steve will wish he did it. heheh :)

Polishing

Hey JJ,
I'm slowly doing the same thing to my whole spare supercharger and then powdercoating it with a clear powder. It is a slow process especially with the horrible casting job they coverd with all the stock powdercoating. I have also done my belt tensioners and plan on doing my I/C tubes, I/C, and any other parts I can do. Progress has been slow since I'm on vacation but when I return I hope to commence. I'll post some pics of my progress, let me know if you need any tips, it looks like you pretty much have the general concept down. Good luck and happy polishing...
SC Ya,
Greg Roll

Attachments

• snout & pulley 2.jpg
    snout & pulley 2.jpg
    24.5 KB · Views: 130
Personally, I think Greg just got a whole list of people that want their tensioners done!!:D :D

Hey JJ, I did just the ribs and the lettering on two sets of SC tops and IC tubes.. They look really nice, just need young hands to ruin to get it all done...

RJ

hey kamakazie, where did greg go? I think we scared him off. He cant run from me, he works two blocks from my house! Ill get us our tensioners.

Na, he'll be back, he's still realing from the thought of having to take on that powder coating for the whole group...

Hey Greg quit being shy, I know where he lives we'll just drop parts off with our orders while he's sucking up the rays in the keys!!!

The kid that lives next door to him was raised up with my son, Brandon tells me that he's doing some really cool powder coating with a toaster oven or something like that... We are going to have to show up at the house and see where he's going with this stuff...

Hey Mike did you get my PM today?? Check your PMs dude I need you to call me ASAP..

RJ

How the heck do you guys get into all the nooks and crannies when polishing? Dremel? Any information would be great!! Thanks!

I've been using a Dremel, but Greg claims he did it all by hand (he has A LOT more patience than me). :) I bought some fine grit sandpaper today to take out some more of this polishing. I just took a day off. Yesterday was a lonnnnggggggg day.

Best and quickest I've found was the little bit that has the sandpaper attached on the mandrel by it's edge, I've found about 5 different grits of that bugger and that's good to strip the old grey crap off and get rid of the really poor spots from the casting process. Then I do the 2000 grit wet with a soapy water solution and it seems to stay really nice down here without to much upkeep.. Final polish is with some aluminum polish that I have used for years on my Goldwing wheels... Stays real well....

That powder clear coat after the polish looks awesome on Gregs tensioners though... I'm gonna have to talk to him when he gets back from down south...

I have yet to post more pics as my digital camera has been screwy lately. But it's looking better, thanks to Greg's advice.

There were some areas I just could not get! But it's looking a helluva lot better. Do you see around the 3.8? There's still paint left there, but I'm sick and tired of trying to get it. So I'm thinking I might powder coat this bad boy a different color.

poltop1.jpg

poltop2.jpg

poltop3.jpg

Back