m5r2 rebuild prices

rzimmerl

about to purchase my first sc but has a few issues because hsa been sitting for 2 years. First is has no synchros left, have done searches for last 2 nites but can find any prices for a rebuild, a rebuilt trans from autozone is 1400, trying to find a decent rebuilt. it is a 90 with 125000 on it, motor runs great but rear brakes are locked, rear isolator bushings are gone, check engine light is on not the abs, needs some interior work but body is in great shape (bumper needs repainted. cant say is all bad for the asking price of 500. currently own a na v6 and have wanted and sc since got my first bird 6 years ago. any help would be appreciated thanks

I know Southern Gear in Georgia did rebuilds at very reasonable prices. It's been a few years, but I believe it was around $450 including parts. I don't have their contact info here, but someone on this board should.

Jasper

You may also want to check out Jasper rebuilt transmissions. Jasper seems to be a reliable company and the rebuilt M5R2s from them can be had for 1000 to 1200 dollars.

not sure if synchros are bad or not the car upshifts perfectly fine just wont downshift at all. the irs bushings are bad, i know that makes it hard to get into reverse but could this also be my downshifting probs. couple of my buddies think maybe just have a bent shift fork.

called southern gear they what 1200 plus shipping for a rebuild. i have a buddy thats rebuilt manuals before. question is where is the best place to find parts and what do i replace them with. the synchros are gone, cant downshift at all, what else to replace if the gearset is still good?

Last edited:
Check out this thread:

http://www.sccoa.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&postid=150138#post150138

1BADSC:

I got mine from Luchetti Auto, they warranty them for 1 year and use brass blockers. I think I paid 850 total with shipping. Contact Ron at 800 324 8960. They were pretty decent when I dealt with them. Only bad thing was that my tranny case was painted grey instead of the nice metal finish. With a year warranty I guess you could just keep breaking it.

i rebuilt mine myself for about $350. This included bocker rings for gears 1-5 and reverse as well as a new reverse gear and hub, and also all new bearings and races. Pretty easy...this is the second time i've done it. I snapped the output shaft in half last time. LOL. this time it was just grinding in 2nd.

Luschetti Auto 800 bucks with 1 year warranty

Ask for Ron 800 324 8960

That is where I got mine from.

Standard Transmission in Ft. Worth is 150 plus parts. Gave us a good way to fix the little rubber boot that bolts to the tranny for 5 bucks withour black window gue.

Back