Mysterious oil leak...

MN12 KID

The most recent time I changed the oil, I noticed oil dripping down to the front of the oil pan, so it's somewhere from above. 1900 miles after the oil change, I just checked the oil - I was two quarts too low!!! :eek:

Where can this leak possibly be? It's somewhere above the front of the oil pan, but I can't pinpoint where, EXACTLY...

Valve cover gaskets are a likely culprit. I would start by checking the vc bolts. They have a tendency to loosen up over time.

As Kevin said, Valve covers are most likely. I think I have to do my passenger one here shortly. You might be able to help it, and you can certainly verify the cause by trying to tighten the bolts on the valve covers. For some reason they tend to get loose.

But 2 quarts is quite a bit. There is a seal on the timing chain cover that rides on the shaft of the harmonic balancer. If the balancer is failing, it can cause excess vibration not allowing that seal to "seal" properly.

So I would also inspect the front of the crankshaft to make sure the large bolt retaining the harmonic balancer is still intact. And with the engine running use a flashlight to witness if the pulley attached to the balancer is showing any excess run-out.

Mine had a tricky leak like that a little while ago... it was the manifold gasket, which really sucked! I hope it's not that for you too.

What is required to access the valve cover bolts? About 2500 miles after my oil change I have also noticed oil loss. I believe I can see oil on the block, though it is hard to tell. It was covering the lower intercooler tube and some of the pulleys previously.. or at least something was.. and has not returned since I cleaned them.

That could be someone simply spilled oil. But i would check the supercharger fluid level. Typically if the front snout seal starts to leak, the fluid will be thrown out by the pulley coating the camsaft sensor, the water pump, and other items on the front of the engine.

Digitalchaos said:
What is required to access the valve cover bolts?
Either you need a flex extension and a deep 8mm socket, or you have to pull the lower IC tube off, or some combination of that. The pass side I think is a bit easier, you take the intake tube off, maybe unbolt the coolant reservoir and the compressor?, and go at it with the deep socket and extension. I think the intake plenum may be in the way of 1 of the bolts.:D

fist off you need to clean things up so you can take a look and try to determine where the leak is coming from.

carefully spray with a cleaner, i use simple green, i love simple green, spray full strength, let sit for like 20 mins 1/2 hour over night whatever, then carefully wash off with water.

let dry, then since it is such a big leak drive around the block a couple times then see if you see anything.

another place you may want to look for a leak is, the seal, O- ring, though its not circular between the oilcooler and the block.

my leaked there, what a bitch. oil everywhere, and hard to track down. looked as if oil was coming from higher up, like the valve covers even or fron cover on top.

clean it off and keep poking your head around. you'll find it.

jim

Back