My seatbelts are stupid

Hellraizer547

My passenger side seatbelt has been stupid ever since i got it:). The retracable seatbelt will just not move. If i open the door it will stay where it is, sometimes when i would slam the door it would go back to place, but that is one out of every 5 times, so the motor does work. Anybody have any clues what could be wrong?

The drivers side seatbelt just became stupid 2 days ago:). Its in the driving position, but it seems like it is stuck. Every time i open or close the door the seatbelt seems to only move an Inch, so something might be on the tract or it is broken. Any suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks all, Peace

Sergio

Almost identical to what mine did. After lubricating the track, removing the panels to check the functionality of the stop switches found at the end of the tracks by the windshield, and knowing the motor worked, I decided to reset the seatbelt control box. It is located in the trunk, I believe drivers side. Simply unplugging it for a period of time will reset. After this, my seatbelts have now worked perfectly for months.

Goodluck!

DigitalChaos, where is this seatblet control box located in the trunk? Is it on the rack or near the fuel shutoff switch?

Aaron

mine did that

my sc did that too-what ended up as being the problem is a small switch inside the door that senses when the latch opens or closes, triggering the seatbelt to move-its located in the door, on the latch assembly, and is very small-lok for it, then take it out and clean it.

If I am remembering correctly it was by the fuel switch, along with another computer which I currently can not remember. I believe it is marked.

This has given me some ideas to why my pass. seatbelt won't cooperate. Digitalchaos: I peeled back the carpet and tryed to look for some semblance of a computer. I found a couple connections, though none were marked legibly. Is it behind that black plastic casing by chance? If you or anyone has a pic of it that would be realy great.

Aaron

If it won't go from the B pillar to the A pillar, check the switch in the door for an open. If it won't go from the A to the B, check the switch in the door for a short to ground.

Here is a graphic that shows how to jumper the connections on the passive restraint module connector to force the drive motors to run. This lets you verifiy the motors are sound.

Oh and the module should be in the trunk, on the drivers side fender, in front of the inertia switch and behind the anti-theft module.

Attachments

• setbeltdrivemotortest.gif
    setbeltdrivemotortest.gif
    20.9 KB · Views: 230
Last edited:
The novice needs some help

Hello Everyone.

I have the same seatbelt problems as the rest of your have, but I don't know how to get at the motor area for the seat belt. My drivers side is bad and I want to see if the switch is bad that you guys are talking about or if my seat belt came off track.

How do I take off the plastic on the rear seat left side where I think the motor area is? I am truely a novice because I saw nothing that makes it easy to get at the thing. Is there a proper procedure so that I don't break anything?

Thanks in advance!

Mako

my passenger side one works only when you discconect the seatbelt , you open the door and goes up adn down , but if you put the seat belt i wotn move from the driving position

Simple Fix

Make sure the track is all the way back so the seatbelt is in the driving position and pull the high voltage fuse under the hood! Automatic seatbelts suck anyway. This way if you need the belt you just reach back and pull it over your head.

Did it with mine and it works great.

See a cop, pull it over your head! Easy!

I just un plugged the motor on mine with it in the corrcet position before they had a chance to brake. Worked fine.

I think you need to remove the rear seat to get at all of the fasteners for the track. It loops around just behind the door and the motor is down low by the foot of the rear seat. I pulled the drivers and passengers assemblies out of a wrecked LX and will try to fix mine later this summer. (If I ever get a day off).

My drivers side has been disabled, the passenger side is getting flaky. If I can't fix it, I'll disable the passenger side as well. Though I feel the flaky passenger side is most likely due to an issue with grounding or the door switch. As it seems to depend on how far you open the door.

My driver's side seatbelt that use to only move like 1 inch now makes a huge display of crappy noise. Now the motor is constantly working but all i hear is grinding, anybody know what the problem is?

Sergio

it's broke.

no, really, it's broke. Sounds like the motor works but the track that it drives must be broken, or the gear on the end of the motor shaft that drives the track is broken.

I'll try and take a picture of the whole assembly removed so people get a good idea of what it looks like. It's just a long fiber track that runs inside a hard plastic enclosure that is inside an aluminum channel up to a point.

Back