VMM acting up?

JJanney

About a month ago, I had my oil changed and I reset the VMM June 14th (SCCoS meet, Thanks Dan!). Anyway, it is telling me to change the oil again, and I've only driven 1200 miles, tops. Either the VMM is off, or I'm missing something.

Please, someone enlighten me. Thanks,
Jeremy

1200 miles is about what mine does also.. I write the oil change mileage on a yellow sticky, cut it down reall thin and paste it next to the speedo. Then I just reset the VMM as needed.

Ahhh... All right, I just wanted to see if anyone else had this weird problem. I have the oil sticker in my window. Thanks for your reply.

My VMM panel is acting about the same. There is some diagnostics that can be run by pushing the reset button at the proper time. I tried most of tonight and it appears that all is working, The only one tha t I have done is the oil low/ temp sensor in the warm condition. The service manual indicates that if the sesnosr indicates a cold or hot condition it could be the cause of fast advancing VMM. I am going to test it after I drive for at least 15 minutes.

GARoese said:
My VMM panel is acting about the same. There is some diagnostics that can be run by pushing the reset button at the proper time. I tried most of tonight and it appears that all is working, The only one tha t I have done is the oil low/ temp sensor in the warm condition. The service manual indicates that if the sesnosr indicates a cold or hot condition it could be the cause of fast advancing VMM. I am going to test it after I drive for at least 15 minutes.
Must be a different year than the 90, ours has no oil temp sensor. I couldn't find any thing in the chiltons wiring diagrams either. Where did you see a procedure for VMM diagnostics? As for the advancing VMM, mine's done it for the past 10 years or so :confused: But its fairly consistent at 1300 miles.

In my service manual there is 18 pages of info and diagnostics for the VMM. I also have a electrical & vacuum troubleshooting manual for a 90 thunderbird and it shows that the 90 cars also have the oil temp sensor. The sensor is combination sensor for oil temp and low oil. I tried my input from the temp sensor today and both times it always showed the oil temp as being cold. Don't know if that is what causes it to advance to fast. This weekend I will try to check the wiring and sensor under the car. The sensor is located on the right side of the engine a head of the starter in the oil pan. This I will only be able to get to it, if I get my 97 Thunderbird (daily driver) back together.

Last edited:
I recall reading somewhere there is a way to reset the VMM so that the oil change interval goes back to 3000 mi, and if you do not reset it before the VMM reads 'NOW" it shortens the interval.
Perhaps this should be a FAQ thing.

Last edited:
Back