Brake Problems, Please help. MastCyl?

AaronPierre

Ok, I'm having bake problems.
91 Automatic SC, antilock stock size disc brakes.
When i start my car, all the dash lights (including blinkers, although Hazard Lights work on the dash) will not work. The useless screen thing that is Supposed to tell you when to put more gas in the car or get your oil changed, the lights on that go out too.
When this happens my brakes will not press down. Even when i put the car into gear they won't press down and thus i will have no brakes (except E Brake, which seems to work).
I start my car without stepping on the brake pedal (just thought that might be usefull info).
Twice i started and restarted my car to get it all working.
Once the lights were off but the brakes worked but died at a stop light 3 minutes later (i had to restart several times till they worked).
And the last time i haven't been able to get my car started with the brakes working.
I figure with this kind of problem i shouldn't be driving that car too much more, so i haven't messed with it since.

My brakes do need to be bled, however there is enough fluid in there (although not full to the top).
I hear that it could be the master cylinder.
Does anyone have any Ideas?
Any suggestions on what i should check?

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Aaron Pierre

Well it sounds like you dont need a new master cylinder, but you definatly have an electronic malfunction. Im leaning towards an ignition switch but not sure? So when you start your car all the lights on the dash go out except hazards? Or they come on then go out after a minute? Door ajar, seatbelt light also dont work with car running? Try wiggling your ignition switch a little with the car running to see if they come on. Some other guys here will probally shed some better light on your problem.

I agree....

It does sound like a problem with the ignition switch. I believe there was a recall notice several years back. You may want to contact a dealer service department and have them run the VIN to see if the vehicle was ever brought in for the replacement. I don't know how many years of records they keep, but you may luck out and get it done at no charge.....

i'm not sure if that makes too much sense. My igintion has been through the recall allready. i have gotten a new one two years ago too (i think). I have an alarm with autostart on the car as well, which seems to work fine.

However i drove the car today down the road to the gas station twice with no problem. no light failure or anything.
Rather strange.

Anyone else have a different opinion than iginition switch? Or does anyone else agree that it probally has something to do with it?

I just don't want to do any Un-needed work to the car.

Thank!

Ignition switch. Check to make sure that it is plugged in tightly. The connector can come loose. If that doesn't fix it, the switch is only like $15 at an autoparts store.

thanks for the help! problem solved for $10 bucks. And to think i was worried.

once again the sccoa saves me a fortune.
Thanks Guys!
-Aaron Pierre

Ignition switch. it even broke in half once we got it out of the car.
just like they said if you jiggle the key the lights and brakes start working again.

Back