Leather Seat Repair

moship

The threads in the rear seat in my '94 SC started fail along the upper section. It appears the leather shrunk due to sunlight. The threads couldn't take the stress from the leather pulling on them and failed. I had someone take a look at it, but didn't have a lot of confidence in what he said or how he wants to repair it. Only the top is damaged, all of the rest is in excellent shape.

1. Does anyone sell replacement leather that color matches the original grey?

2. Are seat covers available to redo the entire rear seat to look like stock? I know you can purchase items like this for Mustangs and others, but I have never seen them for 90's SC TBirds.

3. Anyone have a good rear seat they want to sell?

The local shop wanted to replace the leather across the top section with simulated leather. I hate to do this as it will probably look odd. I hate to fix it just, to say it's fixed. I plan on selling the car in the future and I'm thinking the new owner may want to have it damaged and stock, so they can chose how to have it fixed... Thinking they might want it stock.

An automotive/marine upholstery shop will be able to order the exact leather bolts with the interior code on your VIN sticker.

I don't believe there are any NOS cover sets from Ford still available on these cars, at least not the early SC style seats, not positive about the '94-'95's. I would be surprised if there were though.
The raw material is however, as I mentioned, and
any upholstery shop can get that and duplicate them with the old pattern from the bad leather. Best of luck.

resized%20dec%2001%20low%20pro%20side.jpg

Is your rear seat all leather, or leather and cloth? Have a rear seat, grey leather and cloth, out of a 94.....bottom is slightly damaged, but top is good.

Tony

Mine did the same thing. A local upholstery shop took the cover off the seat, soaked it down with Lexol overnight, and resewed the seams. If I remember right he charged me 50 bucks. I took the seat out and carried to him.

Dick

My 94 seat is the same (portifino blue) but the code is prob useless as the color is surely faded since new. That lexol sounds pretty good, will have to look into that. If I was the original owner I would have kept protectant on it.

Thanks for all the responses and I'll try and address the questions mentioned in the previous links.

1. The back seat is all leather and grey in color.

2. I asked the upholstery shop about the possibility of stretching the leather using some chemical, but said it was impossible.

3. All leather surfaces have had routine application of leather cleaners and conditioners. Used Eagle One brand. I took the seat out about 6 months ago and have been rubbing the conditioner in to try and bring back the softness in anticipation of getting it fixed. During this time the seat has been setting in the garage. It hasn't seem to help.

pfft...mines tearing in the front seats......its kinda bad in the drivers seat

and it's a 35th anniv..

i'm screwed!

Back