SC and NA's ecm's, also a part # question

tbirdboy

Will a NA ecm run an SC and if so how well will it run? I suspect crappy but got in a conversation with another owner and said it would. Trying to bail myself out.

Also what is the part # for an SC/5spd ecm? Thanks!

I don't believe a N/A computer will run on an SC. (DO NOT try this swap at home! LOL) Even in different SC years the computers will not interchange. We moved probably around 10-15 pinouts just to get a 93 computer to run in my 89.

Do not ever just swap around computer modules. Even though the connectors will fit, the pinouts change in different years. You have to look through wiring diagrams to find out that information.

To get a part number for your computer, you'll need to have the year and trans type of your car.

There is NO WAY a 3.8L NA EEC will run a SC. The NA does not have the same igntition system (DIS or EDIS) that the SC has.

Duffy Floyd said:
There is NO WAY a 3.8L NA EEC will run a SC. The NA does not have the same igntition system (DIS or EDIS) that the SC has.

The california edition 94-95 3.8L N/A's used the identical ignition sytem as the 94-95 SC's. The 96-97 3.8L N/A's may also be identical, but I know that they are similar.

I'm using a 94 3.8L N/A Calif Ed EEC in my splitport tbird with (EDIT: EDIS, not DIS) EDIS, however I have also used a 94 SC EEC. The only real change between the two EEC's that affected MY setup was the stock injector size. However, both EEC's required a decent amount of tuning to run the engine correctly.

-Rod

Last edited:
3.8L NA engines use a MAP sensor vs. the BAP sensor all SC have. The output frequency range of the the two sensors do not corrolate to the same values. All the early model 49 state 3.8L NA engines had thick film ignition with a distributor. Also the early model 3.8L NA's had speed contol internal to the EEC...later models did not.

I did not know the CA version used EDIS but regardless if the poster does not have a 94 or 95 SC he could not use the EEC/PCM anyway since the early models use DIS. If you have a 94 then you have EDIS not DIS the difference being that on a DIS system the crank sensor only gives pulses or info every 60 degrees of crank rotation not every 10 degrees as in the EDIS. Also the DIS EEC has to calculate ignition dwell because of this lack of precise crank position data....EDIS EECs do not calculate dwell. The early model 49 state cars use speed density airflow measurement systems vs. Mass Air flow on the SC. I would have to check the pinouts to see what other changes there are.

Last edited:
Yes, I meant to say EDIS, I have edited my earlier post. I am by no means trying to say that the N/A EEC will work in the SC, I just wanted to point out that some N/A EEC's did share the same ignition system and that overall, the 94-95 SC auto EEC is relatively similar to the 94-95 Cal Ed N/A EEC. I'm not trying to start a dispute or anything, just trying to provide some lesser known info.

-Rod

Back