Guage needle removal

use a metal fork and work your way around it. Some come off pretty easy, others you swear you are going to break something. But I never did

gauge needles

ive replace my boost gauge and swapped out needles and they all just pull off. note the location and put them back on in the same spot where you took them off from.

I bought a set of white face guages for my '90. Love them!
The guage face kit came with what looks like a really cheap tent stake with a "V" cut out at the end. Kind of like a really small pickle fork for removing ball joints. The "V" is so you can get behing the needle and squarely pull it off.

As far as calibration goes, I did what any american would do... I cheated.

I took my cheap digital camera and snapped shots of the dash at IDLE and while the key on-engine off.

During replacement, I periodically ran inside to the computer to see where exactly a needle was pointing at.

Also a GPS (Global Positioning Satelite) helped dial in my speedo more acurately then it was before......usually you can borrow one from a family member who hikes alot
Good luck.....hope that helps

P.S. If you are going to be keeping your guage faces, which I am assuming your not since you don't have the tool, please make sure to put a soft towel behind the "fork" or you WILL SCRATCH the guage faces VERY easily.

Last edited:
Back