Supercharger Making Noise

Phantom Menace

Recently I had my supercharger taken apart and the main housing and nose powdercoated. Now that it's back together, its making a noise that kind of sounds like the bearings that hold the front of the rotors in place may be bad. I've had one mechanic say it's those bearings and another say it's just that the supercharger wasn't put back together properly. Both mechanics are very trustworthy and wise, but neither has any experience with this type of supercharger. Do we have any mechanic's in Florida that have a good working knowledge of these blowers, that I can send it to so I can get the problem resolved? I'm afraid to drive it, just in case it is the bearings, I don't want it to blow apart while I driving it. I don't want to junk it because it has the Magnumn Powers work done to the back of it. I don't want to send it all the way out to Magnumn Powers. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks,
Chris

rebuild

did magnum powers rebuild your unit? if they did dont they have a warranty? And if not and you want to sell it, ill buy it and rebuild it:D

I've always read that polishing and PCing the main housing is risky bussines, because thay are so apt to warp easily. It may have been put back together fine but if the case is only slightly warped you can say bye-bye to the charger...

Somebody I'd read on here several years ago had some one of the big companys polish and powder coat his and he said they would not warrenty it because the heat from the polishing portion alone would warp the case and cause the rotors to scruf the case walls. Tolerances are so close inside they only have to warp something like .001 and it's toast. Who did the work for you Chris??

RJ

Magnumn Powers did a rebuild when they did the Magna PortII, that was about 1 1/2 years ago. Last May, my mechanic took the Supercharger apart and I took the main housing and nose to a local powdercoating business to have it powdercoated. Then, my mechanic put it back together.

Phantom Menace said:
Magnumn Powers did a rebuild when they did the Magna PortII, that was about 1 1/2 years ago. Last May, my mechanic took the Supercharger apart and I took the main housing and nose to a local powdercoating business to have it powdercoated. Then, my mechanic put it back together.

Dude.... I hope the bozos that did the actual powder coating knew what they had there.... You might be better off to go ahead and send it out to MP to see if it's within specs anymore or what exactly is hitting where, making the noise your hearing... With the fact that just the heat from polishing will warp the case just think what the heat from the powder coating could do... I don't know bud, just what I've read, all the new process may have resolved this problem. I was reading all this several years ago when I had my other Red 90 SC and was planning on having it done...

RJ

Hey RJ,
Thanks for the reply. I'll get in touch with Magnumn Powers on Monday and work out a plan of action. Got to get it done soon, hopefully we're going to have a meet in Sept or Oct.
Chris

Polishing ain't going to warp the case, neither is powdercoating it. Between the tips and case are actually like 5-7 thou. I can think of at least one person that reshaped the rear inlet kinda like MP, but He WELDED the entire rear of the blower.

Your mechanic probably put the coupler in backwards, the spring is broken or the coupler is cracked.

Remove the top and belt. Hold the rotors with your hand and turn the pulley you should be able to rotate the pulley about 10 degrees under spring tension and the pulley will come to a hard stop. If it just clacks over then the spring probably snapped, it's very common and for all the models M62-M112.

If you have a solid coupler then there will be very little play in the pulley like less than 1/4 degree.

Come to think of it you can just remove the belt and turn the pulley back and forth and see if it clicks and clacks. If you think it may be bad then remove the top and finish the check.

Solid couplers are always noisey so if that is what you have then just get used to it.

Jeff

Hey Jeff, thanks for clearing that up, what I read must have been a single case of the problem. I know now that there has been a lot of people doing polishing and such, but I didn't know if the problem that I'd read about was still an issue or not. I know that 6 years ago or so when I had my 90 5-Spd the folks were wanting some rediculous price to polish this spare blower that I have and then they wouldn't even warr. it afterwards...

I ended up with single fatherhood woes after that, and about 6-12 months later sold the SC cause it was just to much to try and support it and the kid.

Chris, I should have the rest of the info on the Powerfest in WPB at the Moroso complex by the end of the week, so yes we should have something together by the Oct. date for some kind of meet.

RJ

Back