Need some help quick

89BlownBrd

One of my lifters was collapsed causing the rocker arm to not be snug tight so I went and bought a new one and put it in this morning. Well, on the old ones, the springs are so stiff that you can't push the top down any. On the new one, you can. I put it in and the rocker arm is still loose. Not as bad as it was, but it is still loose. I watched as I backed the bolt off holding it on, and the pushrod was compressing the spring in the lifter. Any ideas or feedback as to what I can do, whether the lifter is bad and not supposed to be doing that? TIA

I'm not to experienced in the upper end of my SC, but on my old Dodge Dart GTS, I had Hydraulic lifters which had to be filled with clean engine oil. Once filled they had more pressure to them, thence no adjustment like on a Chevy. My motorcycle has shims and buckets which is totally different and that is more my expertise. Are they hydraulic lifters in the SC?

Call the part store where you got it and ask them. They may tell ya after a few seconds they will pump up...maybe.

Again I am not familiar with the upper end of my Ford yet, so I'd ask any good auto part store for advice or maybe an expert will pop in here. Good luck..

He did help you. The new lifter needs to be filled with oil. Either soak it overnight in a jar or can of fresh oil, or just wait for it to pump up after you start the car (not really a good idea).

Back