Is your fan not running??? Check here first.

J57ltr

Today Vernon came by to help me pull an engine, after about 10 minutes of jacking with it I was more interested in finding out why Vernons cooling fan would not run on his 91'. The first thing we checked was the fusible link at the starter solenoid, it was fine checked it with a meter.

After looking at the CHILTON there are 2 black/ orange wires that feed power to the IRCM. There wasn't any power. These wires have power at all times regardless of key position. After tearing apart the high current fuseblock and the harness as far as we could see all the wiring on that side of the car seemed fine. Since Vernon has been in a few fender benders lately it made it a little easier/harder to work on the car. The easy part was that with the header panel destroyed it made it easy to see the wiring behind it. The harder part was getting the mushed parts out of the way enough to actually get to the wires.

Since I have one car torn down pretty good (the damaged header panel on Vernons car actually came from my parts car, just thought I'd dig a little more:D ) I took a look at the pass side where the headlight was. There is a harness with 4 branches 1 goes to the headlight, 1 goes to the turn signal , 1 goes to the cornering light (or it's plugged if you don't have them) and the last one is about an 8ga wire with a connector on it.

One side is Black/Orange and the other side is Yellow. This connection gives power to the IRCM.

Always check the black/orange wires for power before testing other things, if not you end up wasting a lot of time. If the module doesn't have power for the fans then turning the relays on in the IRCM doesn't do any good.

Thank you for listening and have a nice day.

Next week: Why won't Vernons car start with the key?

Jeff

It should be noted that the these power wires I am referring to were only verified for fan operation and not any other function of the IRCM in perpetude throughout the galaxy, or whatever.

Last edited:
Ahhhh....it's one of those "ya gotta tune in next week to find out the conclusion" type things !!
Garza, tell Vernon not to be so hard on the beaver.....err the SC
:D
Other Jeff

Actually the conclusion for the Rad fan not working was revealed in the first episode. Just need to figure out what else is shorted out. Or just drop everything into the 95' he has at the house.

Jeff

hey, i need some help, when the fan of my sc stop to work the !%*?!!! mechanic put the fan in direct, i mean, it never stop to work, i changed the temp sensor and i went to the mechanic to fixed it right, but now, when the engine gets hot and the fan start to do his work the idles goes down, now the a/c doesn't work, i proved with another "elec box" or whatever it names, the a/c works, but when i stop the idles goes down and the car dies, if i gas to try the car working i hear some little noise on that "box"
what can i do, I don't know anything about the functions of this elec. part and I don't trust in any mechanic here, i see a yellow cable, and orange/black and green/black with tape, ok, gimme a hand please :(

Do you have a multi meter? Test the black and orange wires (2 of them ) at the IRCM (Integrated relay control module) If you do not have 12V at this point check the Large connector mentioned earlier. If you do not have 12V here then check the fusible link at the starter solenoid it’s Yellow.

Jeff

Back