sc problems

PilotYFZ

i am looking to buy a sc and saw that many blow headgaskets and have problems with the harmonic balancers. i was wondering if all of them have these problems and if these are the only problems with sc. I will be going to college in the fall and won't have time or money to fix big problems, thanks

The sc exhaust is very restrictive which causes problems with the head gaskets, but mostly because people add the the 5% or 10% pulley that gives them more boost or other mods without freeing up the exhaust first. The stock exhaust has too much back pressure which blows the head gaskets with all those mods. As for the HB, yes it is poorly designed and many people do have problems with them including my self at this moment. The sc is a great car But just like every car out there you are going to run into problems. Hope this helps.

I love my SC, but...
She can be expensive at times. I have owned her since 1997 and until last year, all I needed to do was change the oil.

Most of the parts on the SC are special and expensive.

Don't buy an SC if you are looking for reliable transportation you will not find it here. If you are going to be on a tight budget then buy a car you know you can work on yourself and doesn't cost a mint for parts, and has readily available parts.

Headgaskets blow on bone stock cars as often as they blow on modded cars, just look in the classified section of this board.

If you have your heart set on an SC buy one from an old lady that has all the maint records from the time it was new, has only 40K on the Odo., and has been garage kept all it's life. Other than that you will end up on foot.

Jeff

Good member advice......

all around. I love my SC and will keep it but, with age comes diligent maintenance. All of the 3.8 V6 engines had head gasket problems and I've fixed them on LX's as well as SC's. Poor gaskets and the restricted exhaust manifold are the biggest problems. I bought my son, whose in school, a 96 LX. You can get one with either the V6 or V8. Still nice T-Birds and easier to maintain car. If you still want a SC, get the newest 5 spd you can find. Welcome to the family....Danny

Back