Car won't idle after waterpump replacement

Mike Combs

My buddy replaced his water pump in his 1993 TBird SC After the install he started it up it ran rough and won't idle at all. Nothing obvious is unplugged or damaged. The car ran fine before.

Is there anything around the waterpump that could have been unplugged, or damaged during the water pump install that could be affecting the idle?

did you re-seal the IC tubes? I had the same problem when I did my when I first got it. RTV Copper will do the trick. If the IC tubes leak air you won't idle. Hope this helps, good luck.

Just out of curiousity did you have the battery disconnected for a while? Aparently if you do the car has to "learn" to idle again. I've read that a few times on here. Not quite sure of the details though.

My 90 wouldn't idle for anything after it sat without a battery for a while. A few days of driving it and it ran great. Just resealed the IC tubes this weekend and disconnected the battery. Idled like crap again until I'd driven it a while.

hmmmmmmm.....

That is a really good point about making sure the tubes are sealed and all but........

IF THE CAR IS NOT FULL OF ANTIFREEZE IT WILL NOT IDLE RIGHT AT ALL!:cool: You may need to be sure that the car "burps" and lets all the air bubbles out. Be sure to unscrew the round yellow looking thing on top of the motor on the right side of the engine before you fill the radiator, and you will be fine.:cool:
DB91

The IC tubes looked sealed, but I wall have him put some sealant on them to make sure.

As far as the coolant. He pulled the Yellow vent before filling and I'm sure it is full.

The don't think the battery was not disconnected. also he drove it for 20 minutes to try to get it to run right, but no luck.

Thanks for all of your replies. They have been a tremendous help!

Thanks,
Mike

I JUST PUT A WATER PUMP ON MINE AND YOU MUST UNHOOK ELECTRICAL CONNECTIONS AND WHEN YOU GOTTA UNHOOK SOMETHING THE NEGATIVE BATTERY CABLE MUST BE UNDONE AND THE SC TUBES MUST HAVE SEALANT ON THEM OR YOU WILL HAVE A VACCUM LEAK AND IT WILL NOT RUN RIGHT.MINE RAN FINE AFTER THE WATERPUMP WAS REPLACED.

Re: hmmmmmmm.....

dirtybird91 said:
That is a really good point about making sure the tubes are sealed and all but........

IF THE CAR IS NOT FULL OF ANTIFREEZE IT WILL NOT IDLE RIGHT AT ALL!:cool: You may need to be sure that the car "burps" and lets all the air bubbles out. Be sure to unscrew the round yellow looking thing on top of the motor on the right side of the engine before you fill the radiator, and you will be fine.:cool:
DB91

The amount of coolant has no affect on idle quality at all.

Vacuum leak for sure.

You can NEVER be sure your system is purged of all the air, unless the system has been run and has cycled coolant between the overflow and back several times.

Vacuum leak

Did I mention you have a vacuum leak?

Jeff

Re: Re: hmmmmmmm.....

J57ltr said:
The amount of coolant has no affect on idle quality at all.

Vacuum leak for sure.

You can NEVER be sure your system is purged of all the air, unless the system has been run and has cycled coolant between the overflow and back several times.

Vacuum leak

Did I mention you have a vacuum leak?

Jeff
I'll ditto all of that. And add that the IC tubes at the IC are the most likely culprits.

Back