PDA

View Full Version : Coil pack question.......

dirtybird91
07-21-2003, 12:42 AM
Guys,
What are the symptoms of a bad coil pack???? Thanks in advance! My brother is having issues with his 1990 Anniverary SC.
DB91:(

J57ltr
07-21-2003, 01:04 AM
Rarely happens, but sometimes.....

There are only a few failure modes with a coil. The Primary "shorts" or "opens"

The senondary shorts or opens.

You can use a meter to test it. There are 4 connections for the coil. One is B+ and the other 3 are for the primary of each coil set. Place a meter set to ohms on the smallest range. Put one lead on the B+ connection and the other wire to each of the other terminals. You should have all 3 readings very close, within an ohm or so. Probably about 5-12 ohm range.

The secondary side you can take the meter and plug it into each tower pair (they are 2 across) the reading will be a lot higher and should be pretty close to the same probably around 750- 1.5K ohms.

Symptoms would be missing on 2 cylinders all the time.

What is the problem?

Jeff

dirtybird91
07-24-2003, 05:53 PM
I have been on vacation, so I am just getting your responce. The coil pack turned out to be good, but the crankshaft position sensor was installed wrong by a previous owner of the car. They failed to gap it. My brother put a new sensor on the car, but made the same damn mistake. We will be re-installing the crankshaft position sensor, and hopefully the problem will go away. Thanks again for the info!:cool:
Dirtybird91

J57ltr
07-24-2003, 06:12 PM
Are you wiping it out? Like breaking it? If so make sure your dampner is not bad as it will smack the crank sensor. Check and make sure the Large crank bolt is in the center of the dampner, it not itís bad.

Jeff

dirtybird91
07-24-2003, 06:17 PM
Originally posted by J57ltr
Are you wiping it out? Like breaking it? If so make sure your dampner is not bad as it will smack the crank sensor. Check and make sure the Large crank bolt is in the center of the dampner, it not itís bad.

Jeff
Jeff,
I hate to sound ignorant, but what do you mean by "wiping it out" or "line breaking it"? Now the damper is the pulley that covers the sensor right?:confused:
DB91:(

J57ltr
07-24-2003, 06:23 PM
Wiping it out, as in breaking it. Yes the dampner is the thing behind the pulley. It has a big bolt in the center and 4 small bolts around it. Look for the big one.

Jeff

dirtybird91
07-24-2003, 06:25 PM
Originally posted by J57ltr
Wiping it out, as in breaking it. Yes the dampner is the thing behind the pulley. It has a big bolt in the center and 4 small bolts around it. Look for the big one.

Jeff

Thanks Jeff!:D