Piston type ........

stephens89sc

ok well im re-building my motor right now and i got it bored out 20 over..... so i need new pistons.. now the guy that has bored my engine out has worked with sc's before and has alot of experience in engine building... now he said hypertectic pistons will be fine but some people that ive talked to have said they wont last at all that only forged works.... im not running tons of power but its not stock... cam, heads have been ported, 10% od pulley, ported exhaust manifolds, exhaust, throttle body, Maf, intake... and thats about it now i dont plan on getting nos or anyhting thats avbout all im gonna do for engine mods... now will hypertectic pistons be ok ? cause i dont wanna have my engine go on me....

so am i ok with hypertectics or do i need forged?

NO, A 200SHOT OF NITROUS WILL MELT THE STOCK STYLE FOR SURE!!!

I have a few SC blocks around and one has no ridge at all, could of just honed it, hahah oh well:)

Now that I look it over, those mods you have are pretty heavy duty:rolleyes:

Last edited:
Find out what kind of pricing he is talking about for your new pistons/rods. Hopefully our group buy for pistons/rods will be off the ground in the very near future and rods/pistons/rings/pins (etc.) will cost under $1000 for the set... hopefully if all goes well even under $950.

Paul

forged good, stock bad

You cant go wrong with forged. If you get forged there will never have to be a question in your mind about wheather or not your gonna melt a piston, maybe youll crack a head instead:rolleyes: No but really if YOU have doubts and its YOUR car get forged pistons and never mind what your mechanic says. Besides then you can say " oh yeah, well I have forged pistons!"

believe it or not hypertectic are better pistons for street motors. They fit tighter in the cylinder and won't wear your engine as fast. Forged have a higher expansion rate which means there is quite a bit of slack when it is cold that will cause excessive wear and shorten the life of your motor. I have forged because I went all out on mine and need it but if you don't plan on throwing nitrous at it or don't intend on going all out then go with the hypertectic.

I find it hard to believe that the "experienced engine builder" bored the block without having the pistons to measure, or even knowing what type of piston you were planning to use!

DLF said:
I find it hard to believe that the "experienced engine builder" bored the block without having the pistons to measure, or even knowing what type of piston you were planning to use!

I second that. I would not have an engine built by any machine shop that bored the block before having pistons. Now if he bored it out and then did not do the finish hone that is slightly different. But any experienced maching shops will NOT bore a block without having pistons in hand to measure from.

Chris

Hypereutectic Pistons

Yea, How big of diameter depends on the pistons. There is something wrong with this!

Also, I�fm with Aaron on the pistons. Forged pistons are great for their purpose, but the hypereutectic is the best choice for a daily driver.

no no no he has already bought the pistons cause i told him to use them so he got them and now he bored it out.... i was just worried about not using forged.... the guy is experienced he knows what hes doing... hes been doing this for 37 years so i think he knows what hes doing considering he has a 3 week wait to get work done cause hes so busy... all i wanted to know is if anyone has used hypertectics and if uve had a good or bad experience with them

stephens89sc said:
.... the guy is experienced he knows what hes doing... hes been doing this for 37 years so i think he knows what hes doing considering he has a 3 week wait to get work done cause hes so busy...

wow.... 3 weeks I waited almost 2 months, that means mines made better than yours:rolleyes:

I'd be worried more about what Rods he purchased for you than Pistons. Stock type rods have been bent and broken. So hopefully you will have something stronger.

thats smart, you're worried about getting 600$ forged pistons but you keep weakest part of the engine, the old connecting rod bolts (not even new or ARP pieces), this should be good :)

Re: clowns everywhere

lessonintorque said:
ohhh greeaat, Its that cynical clown again. man are you following me??????:eek: ?????? :p

no thats silly, all in your head

...i'm just stalking you:)

yea buy my new OEM rod bolts/nuts for 40Cnd then resize the rods:D . They're good for low 13s but i guess thats too slow for you?

stephens89sc said:
my stock rods are fine he checked them out so im using the stock ones

I guess you can go with it. It's just if you are asking about forged pistons, I wouldn't tend to rely on the stock rods.

Back