ignition prob?

90xr7

my car (90xr7 3.8 sc) has developed a prob. At about 4000 rpm if im flooring it it acts as if it has a rev limiter cause it'll bounce around that rpm for a bit then go up to 5000 and shift. it has a really rough ride for 2 or 3 seconds until it passes by. i've been told my car has a miss to it so i bought some sparkplugs(ford double platinums)
but i have not changed them yet. could other factors be causing this prob. that i should change as well, ie. wires and coil?

thanx devan

Coil, no need to change it just yet, they rarely go out.

Change the plugs and wires first, chances are they probably haven't been if you just got the car. See if the wires have 1990 on them.

If you just drive it normally does it act up?
Is it only when you floor it?
If you lug the engine and slowly, and ease into the gas will it start to buck at a specific boost level?

Jeff

no driving normally it works fine its just when i floor it tht this hapens and usually not until around 4000 rpm or just after

nope they are aurora's. all the stuff had been replaced about 2 years ago when the guy i bought the car from had the engine rebuilt

Still sounds like an ignition problem from your description. I would check and make sure that the wires are seated and take a hard look at each wire and make sure that one or more haven't been fried on a manifold.

Jeff

Check to see what kind of plugs you have if they are Bosch platinums throw them out and replace them with a suitable double platnium. They Must be double plats.

Last edited:
yes they are bosch platinums(i belive +4) i've heard they can be crap in our cars so i've already bought a set of the ford double plats. think i should buy a set of wires and do this all at once anyways?

Back