how far is it "safe" with blown hg?

35th_tbird

o.k. unfortunately for me, my head gaskets blew today. my question is, though, how far can you go with them before you start to really tear up the engine? i went roughly 15 mile before i could get to a convenience store to pull off. my temp gauge was almost completely straight sideways. i'm sending it to the shop thursday to have it checked out, but if it's too much money i will probably just part it out. i will definitely just part it out if it has major engine problems. oh, well thanks for any input you guys will give to a helpless sc victim, i mean owner. i really wish it didn't come to this, but i can't afford having a timebomb in my driveway anymore.

You really shouldnt even start it. But your gonna part out a 35th????????? Is it in good shape and how many miles???

Stop driving it if you can. I drove mine 30,000 miles on bad HG's before wasting it these blocks are tough and will take the abuse. Parting out a decent SC is not the way to go. If it was in a wreck I would say go for it but if the body is good fix the motor. Get your engine good and hot a breaker and a cheater pipe and go to it. You could always get a rebuilt longblock from motorcraft for around 2000.00 or a brand NEW longblock from ford for around 5000.00. There are cheaper way to go like rebuilding your heads at a local machine shop and using them on a new shortblock. You can usually get both heads done for around a 100.00 get the 3 angle valve job.

yes, unfortunatley, it's either part it out or sell it not running unless i get a killer deal on head gasket replacement. i've already sunk more money in it than i paid for it last august, and i can't afford to keep doing that. and that's not even including the stereo upgrade i did. it's in pretty good shape i would say. it has 1199xx miles on it and those stupid gaskets decided to give. i think they knew i was planning on getting a new car in the future and screwed me out of getting it, lol. i'll know for sure either late thursday or sometime friday about the condition of the car, as i drop it off at the shop at 1 p.m. thursday. i really wish this didn't happen and i could keep the car but i can't at this time:(

oh, don't worry about me driving it with them blown. i've already found a replacement ride until i can score a deal on a new car. i kind of have to get rid of it since i don't have the money for a new engine at this time. plus this gives me an excuse to get a loan and go for that supra tt i've always wanted, lol :rolleyes: .

A new car is the way to go. The reason i kept my SC is because it was the first production car with the state of the art technology that is common place today. IT is also one large fine auto with the looks and power to match. I have a four cylinder I drive everyday. The gas milage alone is worth it. My SC has been reduced to a sunday cruiser every now and then. Nothing beats a new car with a warrenty.

yeah, the sc is great and way ahead of its times and i love the car to death, but i just can't afford it right now, especially since i will be starting college late august. i would keep it and find a beater that i could drive daily, but i don't have the space to keep the sc if i did that.

sorry, no 5 speed. automatic here.

i'll check out the panels and get back to you with a price.

check the aprts for sale forum this weekend to see if i will part it out. i won't know anything until late thursday or sometime friday, then i'll post it there or whatever.

Back