Duracool..A/C Replacement Fluid

kennster

hey guys..just bought the kit for Duracool....it cost me $45.00...$7.00 for the adapter...1 can of Duracool($12.75)...and the hose for $19.95......i will load it in tonight...i will let you know if it works ok.......$45.00...alot better than what the garages are asking....BTW..anyone know what side is the low pressure side???is it the fitting by the rad????i haven't looked to hard at it...i needed a beer after work....so i will be at it in awhile......thanks guys....ken..

I was thinking about getting some Duracool this week too. but the prices are a bit different here. $14 a can(on Sale this week), $50 deposit on the hose(refundable when returned) and i was told i might need the low pressure fitting. $10. we'll see if im not too lazy how it works out.

It Worked Awesome!!

hey guys..it worked fine...the compressor isn't cycling always like it was before.....and instant cool........SWEET!!!!!.....so..i will keep you posted if i have any problems...but it was easy and cheap......CHEERS ALL!!!!!.....Brrrrrrr....ken

Ken, sounds great, where did you pick all this up, my '95 needs a re-charge. Wait, will this work with the 2 types of freon?

Great

My compressor cycles lots . . . might need to do a charge . .. but I am a little hesitant, my system works, if a little slow, I would hate to kill the compressor with this stuff

Dave

Last edited:
I did mine in my Taurus last year and it worked great. This summer it worked at the begining and stopped cooling about three weeks ago. I guess there was a small leak? Time for a new can. They use these types of Hydrocarbon based coolants in quite a few European countries as R134 and R12 have been already banned for use in them.

Duracool

With the Duracool stuff? Damn I am humming and hawing on this stuff, I am going to have to look around for it.

Dave

Hey Kennster where did you get that price ? as it is an excellent price. I was quoted $20/can or $75 for the kit.(2 cans and the hose)

my ac working now as well. I first took it to a Duracool dealer who pumped in 2 cans of the stuff (eventhough I told him that the compressor needs replacing) He confirmed that the compressor was bad but did not have the skill or proper tools to install my clutch onto the rebuilt compressor. So I talked to the DeepFreeze rep who suggested that I go to www.misterstarter.com / zex racing. . After showing up he wanted the car for the whole day. I said that this was not possible so I made an arrangement to return Thursday AM . I was given 2 options , the $500 option changing the lines and $200 option of swapping compressors and a fill up. I went with the cheaper option. They took the compressor off with difficulty as one of the bolts snapped. Then they vacuumed out the system for about 1/2 an hour. Filled up the unit with Duracool and some die, in case of a leak. So far its been great except the added stress to the engine which makes the rpms drop on occasion. Its been 5 days and so far so good. Nice and Duracool.

Which fitting did you use for the low side. the one by the rad is the high pressure according to the Ford shop manual, but couldnt find info on the low side. is it the one closer to the firewall?

For about 4 bucks for 2 cans of replacement 134a in Wal-mart in the US, A complete kit for 9 bucks(includes adaptors, hose and 3 cans of 134a and compressor oil). Saw these prices on Sunday night when I was in Michigan

Yeah Kolbassa,your car will adapt in about a week or so the computer will learn and adapt to this.I take my car there all the time,they have both owned SC"s as well.I hate to be without my AC as well.

Duracool.. interesting. I just got my 90 SC. The previous owner never rechanged the A/C and I'm not sure how long it's been down but he claimed that it just needs to be recharged. I'm totally ignorant on the recharging subject. Does anybody have any written procedures. I'm willing to give this duracool a try becasue locally here in Connecticut it's $200.00 for a r12 (if you can find it) recharge, and $400.00+ for a conversion to the R134 system. Are there any success/horror stories?

Check out the link on the epa.gov site. It list acceptable and unacceptable Substitutes to r12 systems. Duracool is listed as an unacceptable subsistute becasue it is a flammable blend of hydrocarbons and has insufficient data to demonstrate safety.

EPA's SNAP Program as of May 1, 2001

Back