Low boost startin to PI$$ me off!!

MTTod

Car ran fine but only about 7 lbs boost. Replace belts and get maybe 8. Reseal all the IC tubes and crap... 8 or a little over. Now found a wasted piece of rubber hose off the IC tube that was blowing. Replaced that and it's still only 8. What's wrong with this thing??

I really doubt it's the gauge. The motor is tight and doesn't burn any oil. Even so I can floor the thing from a dead stop and don't get so much as a squeek out of my stock size tires.

Someone on here gave some info once on pressurizing the system to find leaks. How do you do that?

What kind of vacuum are you pulling at idle? What mods over stock have you made? I have a stock Sc that pulls about 20 inches at idle 850-900 rpms.

Make sure the bypass valve closes when you stomp on the gas. Just blip the throttle (enough for about 4K) and watch the valve and see if the butterfly falls shut. Keeping the bypass closed doesn't offer any advantages.

Jeff

Forgot that one. The bypass was the first thing I checked and it works fine. Wide open when it's supposed to.

As far as mods the car is stock except for aftermarket mufflers. At idle vac is around 17.

I did find the pressure test in the FAQ so I'm going to give that a try this weekend. Hope that resolves the problem.

what year was that some older models have boost solenoid i bypassed mine on 89 model that helped but after i put on better exhaust i got a little less boost around 7 or 8 unless im over about 3000 to 3500 rpms then i goes up around 10 lol and my blower belt has looked worn out bad for the last 150 k miles

Last edited:
Back