Timing ?

mikesc

When I went on vacation I left my car (90 Bird) with a mechanic to do some brake work. I also asked him to see if he could figure out what was causing the pinging problem and the idle problem that I am having. (After installing a Morana 4.2L Stroker and pretty much every aftermarket bolt on you can think of including a EEC tuner and a program from "Dr Fred") I can not get it to idle correctly or make it stop pinging. When checking the timing he said the timing was set 147 deg advanced. No....that wasn't a mistake....147 deg. I'm am not, by any stretch of the imagination, an SC Guru, but could someone please tell me how in the hell the thing could even start much less run. I realize this would cause serious problems, and it does act like it is advanced, but that is just to unbelievable. Has anyone out there ever heard of somthing like this happening? I am running out of ideas.......

Thanks in advance..................M

Someone turned your cranksensor about 140deg.:eek:

I dont know, but it will be interesting to hear what you find.

Good Luck :D

Did you ask Fred? I honestly don't know how it would run @ 147 advanced. Does it ping at idle?? With the 4.2 are you sure the timing mark is in the correct location? You better call Morana to he might have messed something up.

Jeff

Idle

I can get it to idle at around 1200-1500 rpm, if you want to consider that idleing. As soon as I drop it into gear (D) it stalls. The only way it will stay running is if I give it some gas, under acceleration is when most of the detonation occurs. As soon as it cools down around here I am going to recheck cam position sensor, plug wires, plugs, Iac, and see if I can contact Fred and see if he can help me out.

Later.................M

OH YEA!!! I forgot to mention this is with the SPOUT disconnected!!!??? It will hardly run with it connected.

Contact Morana as well since he built the engine. I have seen some problems with his work at times.

Jeff

Back