Hard warm start.....

fastsc92

My car always starts right up when its stone cold. When its warm and i stop at a store for about 2 min and go to start the car up again...it cranks for a bit....sputters.... dies.....then cranks again for a sec or two...sputters and then black smoke comes out the pipes. Its almost like its getting too much fuel, but it does this alot at warm starts. And sometimes..it'll start fine at a warm start. Any ideas??

This sounds like a more extreme version of the common hard start problem many SCs have experienced here. I have seen a few SC's with this problem now, and it seems every one has a fuel smell when this occurs. This implies to me a leaking injector, or as others have said vapor lock. The fact that this seems to occur more on warm days emphasizes this possibility. Cleaning the injectors might be a good way to start diagnosis.

Injectors leaking through.
Put a test gauge on the fuel rail and see if it holds pressure after you shut the car off.

the injectors do not leak...and i have a guage on the rail for my AFPR. The guage will hold the pressure then after about 45min...it will read 0psi. This is normal, but i cant figure it out. I replaced my cam sensor a while ago and it did this before, and after i changed it. I cant figure it out.

Re: start

catwithboost said:
Check your engine temp sensor.If it is going out it will tell the brain that is cold and cause this problem.
Yep thats my next suggestion. Somethings throwing the ECU into open loop with the engine warm, that should'nt happen till full throttle. Should the temp sensor check out OK check the TPS sensor.

fastsc92 said:
is there any way to tes that sensor. thats the one on the manifold right???
The engine coolant sensor is in the intake manifold where the fuel lines connect to the fuel rail by the pass side valve cover towards the front of the engine.
The TPS sensor is on the throttlebody.

OK heres how to test the ECT sensor.
Locate the sensor and find the light green wire and the red wire.
Leave the sensor connected to the wiring and backprobe the above 2 wires with the KOEO. Write down the the voltage you get.
Now remove the connector from the sensor (with the key turned OFF) and measure the resistance between the pins on the sensor that the light green wire and the red wire connect to. Write down the measurement.

Now check this list and compair your readings.

Temp.- Voltage.- K Ohms.
248- 0.28- 1.18
230- 0.36- 1.55
212- .47- 2.07
194- .61- 2.80
176- .80- 3.84
158- 1.04- 5.37
140- 1.35- 7.60
122- 1.72- 10.97
104- 2.16- 16.15
86- 2.62- 24.27
68- 3.06- 37.30
50- 3.52- 58.75

Last edited:
Sounds to me that you have DIS module heat soack. Unbolt and clean off old grease then reapply some new. You can buy some at Radio Shack.

MINE WAS THE SAME IT RUN FINE WHEN IT WAS ON A SOON AS U SHUT IT DOWN WOULDENT START BACK UP AND SMELLED LIKE GAS ....... CHECH ENGINE LIGHT ALSO ON MINE RESULTED TO BE A BROKEN PIN IN THE HARNESS BY THE COMPUTER THE ONE WITH THE BLACK PLASTIC CONNECTION... BECUASE THEIR IS A BLUEONE AND A YELLOW ONE ..... WELL THE PIN THAT GOES TO THE BLACK WIRE WAS BROKE CUT IT OFF AT BOTH ENDS AND PUT A SPEAKER FEMALE AND MALE CONNECTION AND WALA!!!! ALL PROBLEMS FIXED THANK GOD... HOPE YOUR IS SOMETHING SIMILIAR ................ GOOD LUCK

The same thing is going on with my car, it starts fine when cold then after some driving its ... well its the same as FastSC92's... but anyway, try holding the gas pedal all the way down and start it, seems to start better when I do that....but I'm guessing its the ECT sensor... but since I have to replace the tranny, I don't care lol...

the thing is guys....it doesn't smell like gas at all. SO there is no leaking....just after it sputters...then starts.....some smoke comes out the pipes. Not blue....or white...just gray. (Rich..too much fuel) I just couldn't figure it out...i'm going to test the ECT sensor today and see what the results are....also, i'll take the dis off and put some grease under there.

Back