About to buy a SC

peter25_back

Hey, I am new to the super coupe world. Two of my friends own super coupes and a third is about to buy one at the same time as me. What I was wondering was if anyone could run a carfax report for me on a 92 sc with 102,000---asking $2700 but going to try to get him down abit. Also if anyone lives in the St Petersburg, FL area and would like to help a newbie with his first super coupe purchase you could reply to this forum or email me at peter25_back@yahoo.com. Anyone willing to help would be greatly appreciated.

Vince

The week i got back I was debating taking a look at his car ; http://www.canadatrader.com/trader/...=1&cregion=1012
(copy and paste in address window-could not figure out how to hot link). So on Saturday with i called my brother and asked if he would like to drive 10 hours with me to look at a car. So with rain coming down and lightning flashing across the sky we headed out around 11:30 at night. Slept for 3 hours at the Saskatchewan-Manitoba border and then drove another 3 hours to see the car. In the ad it is listed at $10,995 BUT I was told I could have for $8500. i think it would be worth that much if it was mint but it is not. Not abused but not babied either. Just a 9 year old car that spent most of its life on the highway hence the 180k. I spoke to the previous owner and he said it has never been in an accident and he traded it in on a new Windstar. It has a new battery, rear brakes, windshield and rear shocks. Radiator and headgaskets done within last two years one owner-non smoker. The dealership report said that coolant was replaced because it was weak but the low coolant light was on when I drove it. That makes me nervous, shouldn't it have been topped up when it was replaced or are the headgaskets going again? The left rocker panel behind the door was broken/loose and the driver door sagged badly. It has never had the cluctch done so it will need that soon plus I thought I heard a bearing noise underhood. I want a western SC but am not sure the price jibes with the condition. I offered them $7,000 for it and the guys at work say I should wait for it since ii's been ther since February. The previous owner said he showed him eight on trade and they did put some money into and say they cannot go anny lower on the price. it may end up at auction i guess. I was wondering what your opinions were on this car. Is the price out of range or is a one owner car more important?

We just got a red 90 sc 5 speed in on trade with 124k on it. Minty. Looks good drives nice except brake light on and has a very
hard pedal. previous owner left a relay with car that is supposed to fix it. It has never had the head gaskets done. I'm very tempted by this car but I may want to hold out for the 94/95 5-speed I really want. How are the 89-93 compared to the 94/95. Are the 94/95 that much better? I do like the styling more, especially the interior.

To people who roam these forums daily like I do will know that this thread is a copy and paste hybred of my last two posts. Sorry about that I had a tough day at work and am dead tired but this thread seemed tailor made for my dilemma. Every time I have a bad day or see a SC drive by I feel like picking up the phone and buying something.

Again any feed back woould be appreciated
Thanks!
:)

Swervin; I must caution you on the price of that car. Although Some SC's tend to sell for a little more than they are worth, no SC with 180k & mostly original could possibly be worth anything close to 7, 8 or more k. Unless it has gold under the seats, they are definatley ripping you off on the vehicle you described. Instead, a car in the condition you mentioned should be sold between the 1 to 2 thousand dollar price range, depending on how bad you want it and how limited your access is.

The '90 you described sounds much better, but again with those miles & a brake should not exceed 4k.. maybe lower 3s upper 2s? The brake problem could also be the accumulator that all pre '93 cars had failing. I believe it is a 400 dollar part from Prior remanufacturing. Look for alternating brake and ABS lights.

Personally, I wouldn't even bother with the first car. You can find more differences between the model years in the FAQ.

To clarify, I believe those prices are Canadian...not sure of the conversion though.
My advise from experience...especially with an SC is to be PATIENT.... getting excited can land you a lemon.

I wold have never bought that car. I love my sc, but that price is ridicilous. I am 16 now, and I bought my 90 sc last year. The interior needs some work, and I replaced a cooling sensor but that is it. The guy had the heads done before me. the car is in beautiful condition, and the paint is great. It has 120,000 on it, and I paid 1,000 dollars for it. the guy was asking 2200 for it but we got him down to that. Just to let you know a little on the prices that are out there. My email is gotboostsc@yahoo.com if you wanna talk or something. There are some pics of my car in the member part of this page, my name is gotboostsc, under 1990 sc. thanks

Back