Engine building question

kenewagner

A friend has a stock 3.8 engine from a thunderbird that he wants to give me. I thought it might be worth building up with good parts, a stronger cam and porting the heads. My SC has 145,000 miles on it and run good but will need a transplant someday. I would like some input on what you guys out there think would be the best combinations of parts to bolt in to this engine. I am up grading the exhaust this weekend. I have plans to go with a better radiator, front mounted Intercooler, raised top on the blower, better intake. I dont have any plans to race the car but like a wild ride just the same. Is the stock 3.8 worth rebuilding or will it take to many mods to be worth it???

If I recall correctly, it has a weaker bottom end on it than the SC 3.8, so I wouldn�ft put a supercharger on it.

The stock 3.8 is a pretty weak engine. I would rather build a V8. You will get a lot more horsepower for your dollar. If money is no object, I�fm sure you could pump that 3.8 up to be pretty mean, although I don�ft know how many miles you would get out of it.

Good luck

The bottom end on a N/A 3.8 and an SC 3.8 are very different. The SC is alot stronger. You could definately use it, but I doubt it would last very long.

Engine build up

How about the heads, are they the same as a SC? If they are I could be porting them and have them ready to bolt on. Is the bottom end of a stock engine weaker due to the main caps are less beefer. Is the crank a forged or cast crank in the SC? Just trying to get a picture of what I could do with good parts on a free engine or at least use some of it for my SC. If it is just a inferior engine no matter what I wont waste my time

It is inferior. Block is different, heads are different, we have a forged steel crank... Don't think there is anything you would want to use off of it.

Engine build up

Thanks, that will save me a lot of work. I have no desire to put work into something that will not work for me.

WHAT TO USE

I HAVE DONE SOME MINOR WORK WITH N/A HEADERS, RAM AIR. BETTER COOLING, PICKED UP ABOUT 20 HP...........HAS BETTER PICKUP WHEN EXHAUST WAS DONE................ALSO GO TO OTHER V6 SITES FOR INFO....FAST FREDDIE :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

Back