Got the drip

Ripvanbl

So I rebuilt the motor, but the rear main seal keeps leaking. Is there a sure-fire technique to installing this thing? The book says .005" from the rear face of the block, but does that mean it should stick out a little bit? That just doesn't make sense to me. The motor is back in the car, so I can't put the seal in then tighten the rear bearing as I would have liked to.

Suggestions please.

ps. - There is no end play on the crank or anything like that.

Last edited:
"Got the Drip"

I had the drip too! :) I went to the doctor and got a shot:eek:

It cleared right up:D

JUST KIDDING.........

The sealing surface on the crankshaft is worn. How many miles are on the engine? I had to cut .007 off my crank to get the surface back to new, my engine had 116,000 miles on it.
Its a pain in the *** to fix this, but there is no alternative.
The way you installed the seal is the only way you can install it.
You cannot unbolt the main cap and put the seal in then bolt the main cap back down. The seal must be pressed in with the main cap bolted together.
Did you wipe a thin layer of silicone sealant around the OD of the seal?

Hello from Norway.
You can take off the spring inside the seal ring and make it shorter. You can twist this spring a take a plier and cut of 3-4mm.
Vidar.

Did you put a small amount of silicone between the block and rear main cap before assembling it? It may be leaking from there if you didn't, and it would appear to be the main seal leaking.

Mike

Back