PDA

View Full Version : 1990 t-bird s/c problems

scrrrraza
07-25-2003, 01:08 AM
i just rebuilt my engine on my 1990 t-bird s/c about 6 months ago
and started to get a humming sound in my intake and started to idle high, i took it in to shop and they told me i needed a new engine, can somebody give me some info on this problem which i think is not the engine, can it be an vacuum leak. please help.

GREATWHITE666
07-25-2003, 01:33 AM
as little as i know about these cars, high idle and a little humming sound does not sound like u need a new engine. Im pretty sure someone else can back me up on this. hope it's a little help...
-Damon

KTris
07-25-2003, 02:52 AM
A few months ago I started losing power, and then I'd get an occasional "humming" while running (which screwed up the idle) and a hum/whine when I'd turn off the engine. Then all of a sudden it started idling REALLY high (2500-3000) - replaced the air control valve (topside, nearer to the throttle than to the airbox) and all of problems went away. If you get "the sound" when shutting down, you might want to check that - the vehicle computer codes won't tell you exactly what's going on, but they *should* indicate that it's getting too much air.

TbirdSCFan
07-25-2003, 03:59 AM
Originally posted by scrrrraza
i just rebuilt my engine on my 1990 t-bird s/c about 6 months ago
and started to get a humming sound in my intake and started to idle high, i took it in to shop and they told me i needed a new engine, can somebody give me some info on this problem which i think is not the engine, can it be an vacuum leak. please help. Don't take it back.. they're clowns. Most likely, you need a new IAC. Idle Air Control. Its the part which sits on the inboard side of the throttle body. Only the Ford OEM part, or one which has the nylon bellows pump type internal diaphragm will work on the SC. They aren't easy to find, even though the aftermarket IAC says it fits the SC.. well fit might be technically correct, but it doesn't work! Don't pay money for anything which has about an 8" long wire lead strapped to the part.