Alternate Spark Plugs

Aaron Pedroza

I did a search to find the alternate Motorcraft plugs to avoid detonatation but can't find them. What plugs should I be using to run high boost and avoid detonation?

Ok, now I have heard a lot of stuff from people about have a shorter tip. How exactly is that going to help us? The 32pp is .100 shorter but doesn't have anything exposed past the threads. Is that why is runs cloder?

Aaron,

The shorter tip isn't a colder plug it just has the same effect as one. Like Ryan (Tazer) said get the Iriduims and you will like them. They burn hot and clean and are fine for daily driving or high boost and nitrous.

I perfer the standard length tips (NGK-TR51IX 7316), and believe they are actually a couple rages colder than the standard double platnuims. I had a set for about 6000 miles and pulled them out trying to find a problem with warm restarts. The plugs were perfect and have now made there way into Chris Wise's engine, so I just ordered another set for use with my nitrous kit.

David

Just ordered the NGK iridium plugs for my car. $51shipped to my door from www.ngk.com. I got the TR55-IX non-extended tip. TR55-1IX are the direct stock replacements. Was much easier ordering them online than trying to get them from a local parts store. From what I've read, our cars have a bad enough time blowing headgaskets, don't need to encourage it with detonation, so i went with the shorter plugs to help keep detonation away.

Thanks for all the info guys. I just ordered the Iridium plugs. Let's see how it runs with these plugs and my new calibrated MAF. Should be a nice step up and I may even be able to run my smaller pulley again if I can get rid of the pinging when the boost get's over 15. I noticed a big difference in the bottom end torque when I had to trade down to the 5% pulley.

If you are interested in what "feels fast" vrs what "is" fast, the 5% will be as fast or faster in the 1/4 with less risk of detonation. Any boost over 15lbs is a waste of time with the "Heaton" blower.

Extended tip plugs aid in reducing emmisions and easier starting. Once the engine is under full power they are not an ideal setup. You want the flame to start at the chamber wall and move across the piston. Any forced induction racer will tell you that starting the flame away from the chamber wall is counter productive. A colder heat range will help avoid detonation, but can foul plugs if you "fart around" too much or idle a lot.

I don't think that we run enough boost to warrant using expensive Iridium plugs. I run standard copper plugs in mine. The only reason for even running platinum plugs is to avoid changing plugs as often.

I guess I'll have to head out to the track and see how it does with the 5% and compare how it does with 10%. I have my alky injection so the increase in heat isn't as much of a concern for me, it would be more the parasytic loss that might hurt me, but the seat of the pants from a dead stop is a definate noticeable difference. And I need all I can get on the bottom end with this big cam, it tends to nose over if I don't get it just right. Once you get it up to 3500 or so you really do feel yourself being pushed back in your seat.

Well Id go with iridiums..I have the Denso Iridiums in my SC and it completely got rid of a high rpm miss..Plus yeah..You dont have to change them nearly as often..Worth the extra buck in my opinion regardless of any performance gains it might give you...

Back