Signs of HG failure??

89SCK@t

Okay, so i go to lunch today, im coming back up to my shop, when i took a corner in 2nd gear, and gave about halfthrottle gas, when my exhaust makes this sputtering noise, and the car doesnt move any faster. the motor was only at a little under 3000 rpm. the weird thing is, in every gear under 2500 its fine, just when i get to 2900-3200 it sputters....

anyway, i park the car about 1 min after it happens, open the hood, and on the driver side head was smoking, the radiator cap was swollen and just about every cooling hose was "depressurizing"...did i blow my HG?

thanks
stephen

Aww Crap

i hope it was just a fluke...please let it be a fluke...I am supposed to buy another car in like 2wks...800 for a 5pd SC....dammit...not saying i dont trust you Mike 38SC...i need some more people to confirm this....

sounds like headgaskets to me. Did you check your oil for coolant drop the oilpan if you have too. If the gasket blows bad enough you will get steam from the tailpipes and a sickly smell(burnt coolant) Unless yor waterpump has let go thus the cooling system failure. hope this helps.

Re: Aww Crap

89SCK@t said:
i hope it was just a fluke...please let it be a fluke...I am supposed to buy another car in like 2wks...800 for a 5pd SC....dammit...not saying i dont trust you Mike 38SC...i need some more people to confirm this....
I know what your saying, I dont blame you. Good luck!

Whew!!

okay...i know this sounds dumb...but, i checked the oil, it didnt look like somewhat chunky milk, the radiator didnt spew coolant with the cap off, the exhaust didnt smell sweet, or sweeter...im just a dumba$$ and didnt check how much coolant i had left...i know, i know...i checked like a week and a half ago, and i had to fill it...i got a serious leak in the radiator or im just burning it off...i dont know. i had a 64oz gatorade bottle and a gallon of antifreeze...lets just put it this way...she was really, really, really, REALLY, thristy...i put almost 4 64oz gatorade bottle(filled with water of course :p ) and a gallon of antifreeze, and she was good. the water started boiling and shooting out of the top of the radiator when i poured a little more than a 1/4 of water in it...im a tard, i know....if this reply doesnt make anysense, im sorry, im very drunk right now...i can barely make out the words on the screen...i look like this right now...

Old_looking.JPG

If you got water in the oil(which indicates blown headgasket) The oil will look like chocolate milk, if it doesnt look that way your still not in the clear the headgasket could still be blown, its just not blown in a way that lets the engine coolant into the crankcase.

I blew one so bad on my turbo car that the water sprayed out from between the head and block drownding everything under the hood, and yet not one drop of coolant got into the crankcase.

Can someone explain more on the subject of water spewing out of the radiator? If I start my car and let it idle with the radiator cap off, it will only idle for about 3-4 mins and then water will come out of the radiator. Is this normal? I have no signs of HG problem and I just did them about 2 years ago when I had my heads P&P. Just want to make sure right now that I have the time to change them. thanks

Victor

curse said:
Can someone explain more on the subject of water spewing out of the radiator? If I start my car and let it idle with the radiator cap off, it will only idle for about 3-4 mins and then water will come out of the radiator. Is this normal? I have no signs of HG problem and I just did them about 2 years ago when I had my heads P&P. Just want to make sure right now that I have the time to change them. thanks

Victor

personally, i would check them...i talked to my dad, he said that ANY water coming out of the top of the radiator is bad...he's had about 25+ years working on cars...anyway

MIKE 38sc
my oil didnt look like chocolate milk...but ill have to check tomorrow...like i said, hopefully its a fluke...i just made a payment on my 2nd supercharged car...TBird SC

The water does not jump out, it just starts to over flow. Is that normal?

Yes, coolant will expand when it gets hot, like anything else, and what you describe can be considered normal. That is why a radiator cap is pressure sensitive in order for it to do what it does.
If it spurts out, with force, then you have issues.

When my HG blew you could remove the rad cap when the car was cold start the engine, let it idle until it warmed up and then water would blow up against and over the hood.
Theres more than 1 symptom of blown HG's.

I had a bad head gasket.It would leak only at first when motor
was cold.I had a cold idel miss.

When the motor got warm it would run just fine.

But when it was under boost it would leak again,and
would fill the over flow tank.(Only during a burn out or on the dyno
run)

Anti freeze should over flow when motor is warm,with cap off.But
it should over flow smooth.

If the head gasket is leaking or blown you should see air in the
anti freeze,making the anti freeze bubble over under the radiator cap.
Not running over smooth.

They are many symptoms for leaking head gaskets,But if they are
blown it is not hard to figure out.

Last edited:
Back