lost .3 and want em back!

silversc90

need some help please. i ran codes on my son's 90 auto and this is what came up. failure in electronic control assembly. (ECA)- problems with keep alive memory. his car is running rich on one bank, acording to the o2 sensor. it is the passenger side. the car has lost a lot of bottom end torque. the o2 sensor on the passenger side was sooty black, on the driver side it looked normal. bad injector, bad o2 sensor? all help will be greatly apprieciated. thank you.

I had that same problem black sooty o2 sensors. Guess What. Blown head gaskets. Carbon build up from water. This is what I would do if this is your problem. Disconnect the battery for some time so you can reset the codes properly. Why you have no power to the EEC fix your HG's then connect your battery. Reset your codes. Then do the code test again. A gloged fuel pressure regulater will also flood out your cylinders during start up. If you smell alot of gas and car is not starting it is flooded. I slowly lost power as my cylinders went bye bye. You need good compression to make power and torque.

i don't think it is head gaskets. done them last winter. this problem started when i had to remove the passenger valve cover to fix a roller rocker. i am sure it is electrical, but have had no luck in finding it. i thought mabey someone had seen this before or can tell me what to check for. the car idles smooth starts the same runs good, just low on power. soot on bumper and o2 sensor on the pass. side sooty. i guess i will have to put it on some better test equp.

injectors

I would guess that you're problem is the fuel injectors. If they are leaking they can cause you're car to run rich. Im sure that you could find out which ones were bad somehow and replace only those, however it would be better to replace all 6 at once. I am in the same boat as you. Another theory I've read on hear for a car running rich is a bad ECT (engine coolant temp) sensor. If its bad it will think the car is still in warm up running mode, therefore dumping in more fuel. Also check the fuel pressure regulator by taking off the small vac hose on it and see if there is any gas in it. If there is its bad, and I have heard that aftermarket AFPR's for our cars blow, so get stock. Good luck with your problem and hopefully one of these suggestions will get you going in the right direction.

Kyle

But what I dont understand is its rich on the pass. side bank. If it was the regulator or the ECT it would run rich on both banks.

How many volts should the injectors read at idle?

Back