Shocking CD

Chris McDowell

Ok, like all on this board, I too bleed Blue Oval. However, having 5.0's to date (...and not just Stangs), I recently purchased my first SC in March of this year. Previous owners were immaculate in their maintenance right down to the winter storage, and chassis (bushing) rework. I am however in the need of shocks and struts. Electronically adjustable. Question is, are these Ford only, or are there other alternative routes for this? Second question, is the CD player. I am trying to maintain the stock condition of the car (1990 model)and am trying to find out about the add-on CD player in the bottom of the dash. Is this Bird specific, or will any of the Ford add-ons work. My cousin just got a 2000 Mustang with the Factory add-on CD player (not shuttle) As I am sure most of you have it, mine has the JBL system. Thank you for the information.

On the shocks you have two choices if you want to maintain the ARC. Ford Replacements and Tokico Illumina II. The Tokico will give you a little firmer ride than the stockers. I have stockers on both my 90 and 95 SCs. The OEM shock is made to Fords spec by Tokico.

I have 136,000 on the 90 and 116,000 on the 95 both still have the original shocks. I currently have them both set in the firm position most of the time because they are starting to become a little bouncy in the normal position. You can't argue with that amount of mileage out of stock shock. Most OEM shocks are gone within 24,000 miles.

If you want to put on regular shocks and eliminate the ride control I would suggest Bilsteins. I have been in another T-bird with them and they are quite nice.

As far as the CD player. It is JBL and you will have to find one from a T-Bird or other vehicle that offered The add-on CD player as an add on. I know that other Ford vehicles built at that time shared the same Premium JBL sound system.

Hope this helps.

Bob

Last edited:
I have a 1990 SC and the JBL system came with FM/CD stereo up top and an extra CD below. I thought it was strange.

The newer CD player from the Mustang will not work. It's gotta be from a Tbird. There are lots out there, check the classifieds or put a post up there asking for one.

shocking cd

I appreciate the information concerning the shocks,struts, and the CD player. I am wanting to keep the ride control that came with the car, however at 168K I have a knocking in the right front corner of the car, while backing up, so far not while driving. All bushings under the car were changed by the original owner, as evidenced by the bar code stickers from Ford on all bushings. I just believe that the shocks and struts are original.

As for the CD player, appreciate that as well, however, I was looking for the add-on at local wrecking yards, until a couple of days ago the rear amp decided to start popping and blew the factory sub out. Guess it's time to start upgrading. And no, to all the SuperCoupe fans, I will not be butchering the interior of the car. Must always look original.
Thanks again for the info.

Last edited:
I have the Tokico's because I too wanted to maintain the ARC function. I also bought the Eibach pro kit and lowered my car 1 and 1/2". I love the fact that it's lowered, it looks awesome! I really wish I would have went the bilstein route because I am mostly driving around on the firm ride setting.

As for the amp blowing out the sub, I have read on these forums that you can replace the sub in the box with one that has equivalent specifications (JBL maybe?). It might be an option for you. I just had the standard four speaker system. I have since upgraded it with a hefty aftermarket system. If you were happy with stock, just replacing the sub would be your cheapest option. I, too, did not want to "butcher the interior of the car" with my aftermarket system, so I had a stealth system installed. If you would like to see some pictures, give me your email address and I will "try" to send you some pictures as soon as my computer at home is working again.

Today, while taking care of other interests, I found a repair shop that is contracted by the local Ford dealer in repairing stock radio's and sound systems, for the Big 3, in addition to some of the aftermarket companies. The service tech, did come out and tell me that the Sub on JBL was blown, and to check around for a new sub to install. He said that I could probably find one cheaper than them rebuilding the existing sub, as they could repair it. He also told me that the radio was losing its luster in the capacitor department...I am currently running a walkman style CD with cassette adapter for my listening enjoyment, and the output of the stereo is fine while in cassette mode, however is not as powerful in radio mode, which is common. He did tell me that the rebuild of the radio would be $201. In addition, this is a common flaw of the Ford radios, JBL sound system or not. The radio and the lower mounted CD players are, according to them built by Sony, as the amps and speakers are JBL. Sony quit repairing, or getting parts for them several years ago. Main CD issue is the laser. So I guess I start going aftermarket. I did want to go Alpine in the beginning, however, I did want to stay with the factory look as long as she held out. Good luck to all with factory systems.

What the Service Tech told you about the CD Players and Radios is essentially correct as far as the capacitors go however he was off base on the main cause for CD Player failure. Over 95% of the ones I have repaired failed due to crappy leaking capacitors that Sony used in the power supply module and on the main circuit board. I have only seen 1 out of 25 where the Laser Pick-up unit failed.

By the way, despite Ford saying parts are no longer available for these units, I repair both the Radios and CD Players completely for $105 including the price of return shipping.

If you want to stay Factory Stock (as I do), give me a shout at:

polyscroll@hotmail.com

I can give your units many more years of good life.

P.S. Try getting the 6-1/2 woofer from Radio Shack as a stock replacement. Pretty easy to install in the sub-box, sounds great, and is only around $10-$15 if I recall correctly.

TwoTimeSC

Back