How much R-134a in a 94?

NRTrackStar

Hey guys. The compressor in my 94 SC killed itself, so I'm gonna go ahead and replace the compressor, O tube and accumulator. My question is, how much R-134a am I gonna need to buy to fill the system? I've read around 40oz for the older R-12 systems, but that sounds like it'd be a bit too much. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

The rule of thumb is to start with 80% of the r12 amount. In this case that works out to be about 32oz. However, the final amount is determined by the high and low side pressures and the outside temperature.. Also, if your compressor blew chunks, and you don't have an inline filter, you'll probably need a new condenser. Particles from the compressor work their way immediately into the condenser and can clog it. If you don't get good cooling after filling with r134a, it might well be the condenser. Its up to you, condensers aren't cheap, but neither is having to evac the system and recharge it later. That is unless you have the equipment and recharge it yourself.
Something you can do is to dismantle the compressor and account for every piece. The pistons have a black teflon band sort of like the rings on an engine piston. Make sure all pieces of the bands and reed plates are found, otherwise, they're in your hp line or your condenser. If you need it for a core exchange, its easy to put back together. The only tricky part is the "C" clip on the front. You might need a tool for that or help from a 2nd pair of hands. Here's a pic if you decide to take the plunge:

Last edited:
Check the Sticker

On my '94, the sticker on the left shock tower says R134a: 2lb, 2oz.

BTW is CG64DA yours? If yes, I was the guy on the red bike Wednesday evening (doing intervals between 130th and Bennett), while you were in the group run on the All Purpose Trail.

Ahhh...

I see. Yeah, but that is my car! I can't for the life of me remember a guy on a red bike tho.:) But I was there Wednesday! And I know if you were driving your SC I would have seen it. If it's a 94, what color is it? I think I've only seen two other 94/95's around here. One is blue (seen it going up State towards Wallings a couple times) and there's a red one that I saw at Southpark mall (woman was driving it.) Do you ride over there regularly? God knows that I'd love to talk SC's with someone, cause there aren't too many around, so if you ever see me again, by all means stop me! I usually park at W 130th and I'm there pretty much everyday. So I suppoe I'll be off to get my refrigerant. Thanks a lot for all your guys' help! And I think I may just take apart my old compressor, just to see what's in there.

TbirdSCFan

Can you install a inline filter before your pump to protect it from anything that might be left in the system?

I assume that the system is flushed after a compressor failure. If you don't do that then a filter might work to stop remaining particles and is certainly better than nothing.

Back