please help new member

partyboi

hey all im a new member here. be nice :p i might be getting an sc free from my uncle

only problem is the car starts regularly and runs fine most days, then randomly, it just wont start, then he has to let it sit or use starting fluid on it for it to start.. i have seen a couple similar threads.. is this a common problem for sc's?

any help for a new member would be greatly appreciated thank you

Your uncle might be taking the computer out of it so it won't start. Sometimes this is a good idea if you have some down time do to local law enforcement.

stocker 89 said:
Your uncle might be taking the computer out of it so it won't start. Sometimes this is a good idea if you have some down time do to local law enforcement.
HUH? I doubt that.

Party--
Does the upshift light stay on while cranking it? Could be crank sensor. Let us know!

Calvin

Yeah FEAR THIS is right. It could just be the (CP) . Hey Fear this My upsifit light stays on when I am cranking but my car is an automatic what should I assume.

well im gonna call him up this weekend and see if i can pick the car up. how hard is it to change the crank sensor? also, is there any way i can tell if its bad? or just kinda have to do process of elimination? thanks so much.
also, how much do these things run from ford?
dustin

AIM - partiboiii

Last edited:
help

Crank sensor $97.00 / my cost in okc, ok. Pull the belts, balancer, cooling fan,plastic cover over balancer,etc. That way you can ck. & clean everything. I think that air gap @ crank sensor is .020.

hmm...

im used to working on acuras haha. i can take those apart and put em back together in my sleep. im new to the sc scene though. would i be better off taking this to a dealer? how much would they charge me to install it? thanks so much guys

You need to have the codes read or buy you a code reader .

It is way helpful on these cars. Not only will it tell you what is wrong . Cause it might not be the crank sensor since it does start some times I wouldn't rule it out but you need to run the codes to narrow down the possibilites. Plus it is good to run you codes after you work on the car to make sure you have all the sensors hooked up . Crank sensor Easy to change out you might have to take oil filter and the plastic cover around the balancer. 3 small bolts take it off then put it on make sure you have .030 clerance between the vanes and the sides of the sensor.

For no start conditions - if the upshift light does not go out while you are cranking the engine the computer is not getting a signal from the crank sensor.

1. Check the connections on the crank sensor to see if they are clean and seated.

2. if the connections are good then the crank sensor is probably bad.

You can replace the crank sensor without removing the balancer (if you take it off it needs to be replaced). Just mark the pulley and remove the pulley. This opens up plenty of room to remove the crank sensor.

You will need a 5.5mm socket, swivel and an extension or two to get the bracket off. Just make sure you rotate the engine clockwise until the sensor is in a opening of the vane.

It is a 3-4 hour job from start to cleanup for the first time and a 1.5 hour job after that (you learn what needs to come off and how)

Aaron

Back