wobbling and loose steering

Jeremy_K

i have a couple more problems on my SC. when i'm going straight at 25 MPH I can feel quite a wobble in the steering. it doesn't do this at any other speed. also, once in a while at all different speeds, my steering feels really loose. it feels like the wheels are falling off. i've checked my lugs and they're o.k. any ideas?

I've had bad belts in tires cause that, but thats just 1 of many things that could cause this. Be very carefull with the car till you get it worked out.

Start with moving the front tires from the front to the back. While you do that and have the front off the ground, grab the bottom and top of the tire and push and pull it to see if it moves. It should not move in or out. If it does, your ball joints are shot, don't drive but to a repair garage. IF a ball joint comes apart going down the road you will loose a wheel at the worse, at the best you loose total steering control.

If it doesn't move at all, then see if after you move the tires if the feeling switches to the back. If so, one of those tires has a problem. Take them to a tire shop and have them checked out.

You should also check for excessive play in the steering as you may have a link bad in the steering, or the bushings holding the steering rack to the frame may be allowing the rack to move.

Neither are good options.

Back