Updated pic of my motor, IC pipes done *DUW*

V6Sprout

OK I borrowed my sisters digital camera today to get some updated pics for you guys. I also got the second IC tube finished except for one small part on it, but I could at least test mount it to see how it fits tongiht.

We decided to up the pipe size to 3 inch tube from the 2 1/2 tube I used last year. Since we did this we hade to modify a few things. First off the engine fuse box had to be moved. Instead of moving it into the fender like Gaston I put it where my batter once stood. I really want the chrome fuse box cover for it. By moving it here I was able to hide the rest of the wiring in the fender. Here a few shots of the braket and relocated box.

First off we had to weld on a new lower support bracket, I reused the 2 existing side mounting holes to mount it tot he side wall. We used special plugs in hte metal cause it was so thin, it was kinda like a rivit with threads for a bolt to grab, hard to explain.

fuse_box_custom_bracket_2.jpg

fuse_box_relocation.jpg

fuse_box_relocation_side_view.jpg

When I drilled the holes for the botls in the side wall, the drill bit pulled itself through and went right through my washer fluid bottle, you know when you finally get through the metal and the drill bit screws itself into the metal, couldn't stop it, but on the second hole I drilled slower and let it just barely cut through so Ic ould control it better, I will either repair this bottle or just get a new one. Its fine for now, just can't fill it up all the way, but its not like I need a lot of fluid in the summer.

hole_in_washer_fluid_jug.jpg

Here are some shots of how close some of the tubes come to other parts on the car.

A view of the IC tubes clearing the strut tower brace.

strut_tower_clearence_behind.jpg

strut_tower_clearence.jpg

one IC tube clearing the rad hose, I plan to redo the rad hose to clear it better though. You can also see how I made the custon upper rad hose, used the stock SC rad hose and cut a section out and put it back to gether.

ic_pipe_close_to_rad_hose.jpg

pass_side_view_outlet_pipe.jpg

Now the shots of the finished product.

Here is a shot with the rad cover off, it gives a better and more complete view of the IC tubes.

complete_ic_tubes_with_no_rad_cover.jpg

Now with the rad cover on showing what will be covered and what will not be covered. Notice my opening in the rad cover for my rad cap.

complete_view_of_ic_pipes.jpg

A couple more views

close_up_of_both_ic_bends.jpg

ic_tubes_close_up.jpg

If you noticed the inlet IC tube is rather close to the master cylinder, again due to using 3 inch pipe. To resolve this problem we had to cut an opening in the tube, this is the only part we have left to finish, we have to fill this oval opening back in, basically we took another bend and cut out the outer part of the bend, we are then gonna flip that bend upside down and weld it inth eopening giving us a inward curve here, since the pipe was enlarged to 3 inch and the inward curve won't be very deep I don't see it effecting airflow too much. Here is a shot of the cutout in the pipe.

cutout_for_master_cylinder_clearence.jpg

And last but not least my air filter placement, just have to fab up the TB to MAF tube now.

filter_placement.jpg

PS: the IC tubes will either be Powder coated silver or chromed, not sure yet.

Looking good. Are you using a Volvo IC? If you are I would put a fitting after the blower so you can see what the pressure drop is.

Jeff

Lookin' good, Sprout! Any idea as to when you might have her running? I'd love to see that thing hit the track!

Best regards,

Sean

Yes its the Volvo IC< I would like to test the pressure drop, hopefully soon I can do so with another gauge, or even just unhook mine and test it before the IC, my current gauge sits on the inlet to the lower intake near the IAT sensor, so its after the IC already. I also want to get some before and after air temps too.

Well I was hoping to get it done for this coming weekends car show in Port COlborne, Canal Days car show is on Sunday the 3rd I believe. Not sure if it will be done, I doubt it, besides I don't want to rush it when I am so close. After the TB-MAF tub is done its just the exhaust I have to fix, but technically it could be started with just the headers, but I will wait till the exhaust is bolted up.

So I would guess about 1-2 weeks, getting over to my uncles is not something I can do everyday, wifey don't like me being out all night when I go there. SO I only get to work on it 1-2 times a week, 3 times a week if I am lucky, plus my unlce has to be home, he drives truck 12 hours a day then works in his shop at night. He has next week off work though so I may go a few more times this coming week to try and finish her up.

Nice looking work,lots of fab work.I like seeing pics of someone doing something on their own.Cant wait to see some numbers.I hope that you bring it out to a meet some time!

Don't think you can fool me... I see that can of COKE. HMmmm, could that be the next big MOD we don't know about yet ;) Keep up the nice work.

Cheers,
Luke

shhhhhhhhhhhhh! I am still trying to keep the whole COKEmod thing under wraps till its dyno tested :D

yeah I was talking to that guy about his IC and how he made it and such. I havew been thinking about trying that very same thing for a while now. If it doesn't go for too much I would consider getting it, but I tihnk he wants a lot for it. He had it posted here in the for sale section a while back.

Jamie,

nice work. Where did you get the custom tubes? Also, the upper tube that goes to the SC Top, does the tube actually go over the throat of the top?

I made the tubes myself with the help of my uncle and his shop. We had a bunch of 3 inch 90 degree bends we just cut up and made fit, I did the cutting and he would spot weld them and when we had the final shape he welded them up completely. We still have to put a bead around the ends for the hose clamps and then clean them up to be chromed.

As for the SC hat, its a stock hat that someone cut the collar nut off of, as well as the collar. The end is just a tube with a bead on it, let me find a pic of it. I got it off a friend, not sure who did it. We plan on makign a better SC hat later on though. My uncle that is.

Back