Brake Problems

markadeck

Read all of the FAQ's and saw nothing about brakes. My '90 SC, nearly like new has developed a problem that is far worse than losing power assist back in the old days. The anti-lock light stays on all the time and the car has become unsafe to drive. It is a code 21 problem. The thieves at the local Ford dealer are talking $1500.00 to repair. Any of y'all been there, done that? I have been a member here for nearly 3 years, and had to re-register to get back in, that explains the zero posts you see. Thanks in advance.

Mark

Loss of fluid, accumulator motor, accumulator and relay are some common probs. Lost fluid in mine they didn't work. I have heard ford will only replace the whole system or nothing. You can pick up parts and do the work yourself to save a little cash.

code 21 is:
Main Valve (Disconnect main 2 Pin Plug on Hydraulic Actuator Assembly & measure resistance. 2 to 5.5 Ohms, service cable harness, any other reading replace Actuation Assembly)

Check this website for great info on the system.

You can do the test yourself as is stated above to verify the dealers determination. You can purchase the whole assembly for under $700 from Prior Remanufacturing and have a local shop put it in for less than what the dealer wants.

http://www.zianet.com/SCCoSW/Articles/ABS.HTML

Back