How to get my locknut off...

iwannanSC

I feel like an idiot. When taking my lug nuts off, I think I stripped the locknut on the passenger rear wheel. All of the other lug nuts are off; only this locknut is holding the tire on. I need to get the tire off. Any recommendations? I'm replacing these damn locknuts with regular lug nuts before I put the wheels back on.

It can be done with a cutting torch.

Or just go by your dealer they will take them off .
It will not cost much.People loose the key a lot.
so they do this job all the time.

randy

Thanks for all your help everyone, not sure which method I'll try first but I'll get the nut off. Thanks,

Matt

I had similar problem on '65 Impala SS with locking wheelnuts.
We pounded a strong walled and long pipe onto it with a sledge hammer. Then used a long handled pipe wrench with some extra leverage on it and just untwisted it. Seems like socket will split easily but may work.

Wonder if dremel tool, put some flat sides on it, and use a wrench maybe?

Good luck

I work at a Walmart tire lube express part time and we have a special set of tools to get them off. They are different sizes and tapered. Just beat them on and use an impact. Although one time when they didn't work, we just beat a four way onto it and it came right off. Brandon

I just had the same exact problem. I went to the mercury/ford dealer and they had a master key set. their master key is a lot harder metal than the original. i just used that and an impact wrench. i also bought all new lugnuts. non-locking! i left my license with the dealer as collateral and they let me borrow the master key.

Back